XP Client 802.1X Intermittent Connectivty

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I'm having issues with XP clients intermittently connecting to SSIDs using 802.1x authentication. All other clients have been able to connect to the same SSIDs without issue (Windows 7 & 8, iOS, Android).

The strange thing is 90% of the Aerohive network is using AP370s, but when the XP clients connect to an AP330 I'm able to authenticate using an XP client.

The AP370s are using HiveOS6.0r2d and the AP330s are on HiveOS6.1r3b.1502 if that helps.

I've ensured all XP clients are up to date on SP3 as well as the wireless card having the latest drivers installed. If anyone out there has any insight as to why this is happening I'd be greatly appreciative.
Photo of Eric Owens

Eric Owens

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Hello Eric

A few things.
for XP clients what is the wifi card capabilities? 2.4GHz or 5GHz or both.
Are using DFS channels? does the client support them?
you may actually be connecting to an AP farther away if the client does not support DFS

When you say intermittent - are you referring to the 802.1X authentication process

You should run a client monitor to gather more info and see where things are breaking down and that you are actually connecting where you think you are.

http://blogs.aerohive.com/blog/the-wireless-lan-training-blog/troubleshooting-wi-fi-connectivity-wit...

Cheers
A

Photo of Eric Owens

Eric Owens

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow!  Thanks for the detailed response Andrew.  I believe the card can support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but I'll have to verify tomorrow (it is an Intel pro/wireless 200BG).  I'm not sure about the DFS channels or whether or not the client supports them.  I have seen the client is definitely trying to connect to the nearest AP.  I've searched for the client under the monitor tab to see which AP it's trying to connect to.

Intermittent is more describing the connectivity.  The clients authenticate, but then minutes later will completely disconnect and take a few minutes to re-connect, if at all.

I started running the client monitor as I was leaving for the day.  As of now the client is sitting on my desk and connected to the AP330 which has provided 100% connectivity to the client.  I think the client monitor output will be more useful when I try to roam with the XP client.  One other thing I didn't mention was the XP clients work great with another SSID on the same APs (AP370) that is using a PSK for authentication instead of 802.1x.
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This is from a dated post, but I wonder if you ever solved it --- I'm having a similar issue with mobile clients.   They connect, get proper assignments, but it seems when they age out, they disconnect and struggle to get reconnected because of lack of DHCP getting assigned...but there are enough addresses to go around...