Will Hive Manager run on a Server 2012 Hyper-V machine?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We're a Microsoft shop and was wondering if the virtual Hive Manager could run on a Server 2012 Hyper-V instance
Photo of Gary Sakaguchi

Gary Sakaguchi

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I don't believe we have officially tested this, but I also believe there are no hypervisor-specific dependencies within HiveManager so this should be possible. 

If you haven't already searched this forum for threads related to Hyper-V it may be worthwhile, I saw this one and there may others that are relevant.

Photo of Ben Courtade

Ben Courtade

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We run it on Hyper-V 2012.  It seems to work fine, the only thing I've noticed is that once in while all of the APs lose connectivity to the HiveManager and I can't access the web interface, but they immediately come back if I ssh in and reboot it.  Not a huge deal since Aerohive's design makes it so the APs work just fine without it and it always comes back after the restart.

You just need to convert the vhd file to Hyper-V's format and add it to a new virtual machine.  I would also recommend NOT using a dynamically expanding vhd.  It bloats in size every time you do a backup or update and is difficult to shrink down again.  If you have System Center I believe it has the ability to convert built in, if not there are some free tools out there.  I don't remember what I used off hand but I could probably find out if needed.
Photo of Gary Sakaguchi

Gary Sakaguchi

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for your help.  We punted and fired up an ESXi server to run HiveManager.  I was concerned that Aerohive didn't guarantee they would support HiveManager on Hyper-V.  They just said that it should work, but I was on my own if it didn't.  I still don't understand why they don't offer a version that will seamlessly work with Hyper-V.
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, I have the problem of having to install the application CVG as virtual hyper-v. Is it possible? I am in possession of. ova ... it is possible to have the. iso or some other mode?  
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 396 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
New conversation on old thread, deserves its own thread. Please reference the new topic here: Problem with having to install the application CVG as virtual hyper-v
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes

Unlike the HiveManager, the CVG needs relatively low-level access to the network hardware in order to operate as expected. We would have to make substantial changes to make it hypervisor-neutral so that you could install it on something other than VMware. 

We recently re-examined our customer base and the number of people who wanted something other than VMware, and rather than create and maintain multiple versions of the CVG, one per supported hypervisor, we chose to offer it as a dedicated appliance. For more information on that, see http://www.aerohive.com/pdfs/Aerohive_Datasheet_VPN-Gateway.pdf