Will the AP390 connect to HMOL without Antennas?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
We have just purchased 2 of these using our Erate funds, and for some reason they came without antennas. Whilst we wait for those to ship should these AP's connect to HMOL without antennas? We have a slow business office, and I was hoping to have them work whilst I wait for santa to deliver the missing parts. 

Thanks 
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Yes. The AP will use it's backhaul interface (typically the ethernet) to connect to the management platform. 

The antennas are normally (before this I would have said always) inside the same shipping box, underneath a cardboard separator. Did you totally empty out the box? 
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I think my problem is the PoE. I'm using the same PoE device one as I used for an old AP120 (I think it's about 5V), plus it's only going into one Ethernet port. ETH1 and tried ETH2 but not at the same time.

Can someone confirm that please. 
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
This........

Additional InformationPlug & Play Installation; Deliver Power up to 328* Feet (100m) AwayOutput Current:; 2.5 A at 5 VDC; 1 A at 12 VDCCAT5, 5e, 6 Ethernet Pin Usage:When used with end-span PSE:; Power: 1,2,3,6When used with mid-span PSE:; Data: 1,2,3,6; Power: 4,5,7,8Note: DWL-P50 adapter must be used in conjunction with a PoE power device (ie. the DES-1316 switch or any PoE compliant switch)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Are you sure this is what you are using? It is a splitter and not an injector that is designed for non-PoE capable devices to be powered by a PoE switch. You would not use this with an Aerohive AP therefore.

You would just plug an Aerohive AP straight in and let the PoE capable switch power it, no splitter required.

If you are using this as a splitter somehow for some odd reason, certainly unfathomable to me, then there's also...

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/access-points-and-range-extenders/access-points/dwl-series/th...
All D-Link PoE switches (DES-1316K, DES-1526) use mode B. Non D-Link switched may use mode A or B, thus connecting a DWL-P50 may not power up the end device.
(Edited)
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sorry, uploaded the wrong picture. I have an injector. (Sorry about that.) Current switch doesn't have PoE ports. I see the orange light on the AP, but it's not showing up in HMOL. 
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Right, so what model of injector is it? While orange, does the console port work, does the AP boot?
(Edited)
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
DWL P200
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
James, 
I'll try to help you get the device connected to your HMOL, then afterwards you can troubleshoot whether you have the right PoE injector or not.

Pull the AP390 off the ceiling and place it on your desk, and power it from AC. If you have a serial port and terminal emulator software, you can plug into the console port before you apply power to the AP and watch the boot-up sequence. Once it boots up and presents you with a login prompt, issue the command "show capwap client", and share the output of that command with us. Only the first couple lines are important for us to see for now. Here's sample output from a device on my desk:

kouri-desk-230#sh capwap cli

CAPWAP client: Enabled
CAPWAP transport mode: UDP
RUN state: Connected securely to the CAPWAP server
CAPWAP client IP: 10.16.36.29
CAPWAP server IP: 54.174.191.21
HiveManager Primary Name:hm-useast-beta.aerohive.com
HiveManager Backup Name:
CAPWAP Default Server Name: staging-beta2.aerohive.com
Virtual HiveManager Name: Mike_Kouri_Beta
Server destination Port: 12222
CAPWAP send event: Enabled
CAPWAP DTLS state: Enabled
CAPWAP DTLS negotiation: Disabled
Photo of James Watson

James Watson

• 70 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
CAPWAP client:   Enabled 

CAPWAP transport mode:  UDP

DISCOVERY state: Sending Discovery packets to find the CAPWAP server 

CAPWAP client IP:        192.168.1.1

CAPWAP server IP:        0.0.0.0

HiveManager Primary Name:

HiveManager Backup Name: 

CAPWAP Default Server Name: redirector.aerohive.com

Virtual HiveManager Name: 

Server destination Port: 12222

CAPWAP send event:       Disabled

CAPWAP DTLS state:       Enabled

CAPWAP DTLS negotiation: Enabled

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
What do you get from "capwap ping redirector.aerohive.com"?