Why the speed is at 130Mbps between a 802.11n network card and a AP330?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

Hi guys,

I have a laptop and it only connects to an AP 330 at 130Mbps.

The Wireless network card is

and the AP330 is

They both support 802.11n and even though the actual speed can not be over 300Mbps or something, it should show the theoretical bandwidth speed on the wireless network connections status, isn't?

Can anybody explain this? Where should I go and check the configuration if there is one in wireless network card or aerohive manager?

Photo of Jamie Cho

Jamie Cho

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2487 Posts
  • 449 Reply Likes
If you are in really close proximity while testing this, presumably, it's associating at 2.4 GHz where there's a 20 MHz channel width...

You'll get higher data rates when the association is at 5 GHz, assuming you've got a 40 MHz channel width configured.

Therefore, you should consider configuring band steering to attempt to cajole clients from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz or offer a different SSID for 5 GHz access to 2.4 GHz access.

Also look to ensure that a short guard interval is configured to get the higher rates if you really want them.

I also suggest that you ensure that you update the driver to the latest that is available directly from Intel. There have been a load of fixes since the earlier releases.