White light off

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago

Hi!

I have a query with my AeroHive 390 AP: A few days ago the white light is flashing. It is off around one minute and it’s on a 5-6 seconds.

Why?

Thanks!
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
This is now normal behavior for recent HiveOs versions.
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
since what release exactly ?
Photo of Joshua Gochee

Joshua Gochee

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

"Status LED Behavior

Aerohive access points include LEDs that can be used to assist installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting. Prior to this release, the default behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED was to be on and illuminated at all times during normal AP operation. The new behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED is to exhibit a long-period blink: The LED illuminates for 4 seconds, and then remains off for about one minute. There are no other changes to the operation of the access point.

This change is in response to a manufacturing defect reported by some customers that might cause the LEDs on the access point to become increasingly dim over time. This defect is largely cosmetic and does not alter or cause any loss of functionality to the product. That is, regardless of the condition of the LED over time, the performance and connectivity provided by your Aerohive network remains unchanged.

Customers who have reported this issue report a significant visual difference between the brightness of the LEDs on their units after nine to twelve months of continuous operation as compared to when the units were originally installed. This issue only exists in AP130s and AP230s, and, to date, has only been reported by AP230 customers, although not all units have been affected. The change in LED behavior allows the LED to continue to provide a visual indicator of the AP's health for those customers who use this feature, while significantly extending the life expectancy of the LEDs, in many cases to beyond the expected service life of the access point.

Photo of brenden

brenden

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Is this behavior now also relevant to AP250's ? As the light seems to go off for extended periods of time (appearing to be turned off)  and then suddenly the white light is back on.  

Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I would say yes, later firmware releases have made changes to the light behaviours in order to preserve LED life. Personally, I don't take much notice of them, as long as they are contactable or visible through HM I'm pretty happy.