When will the 802.11ac AP370 and AP390 get feature parity to the 802.11n APs?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I noticed from the release notes that:

"Feature Limitations for the AP370 and AP390
The AP370 and AP390 platforms do not currently support the following features:
• Background scanning—Note that this means that the AP370 and AP390 cannot perform off-channel WIPS and cannot use ACSP (Advanced Channel Selection Protocol) to select a different channel on which to transmit except during their initial bootup process.
• Router mode
• Wireless backhaul (mesh) communications with other APs in the same hive
• Enterprise class VoWLAN (Voice over Wireless LAN)
• IEEE 802.11w (protected management frames)
• Spectrum analysis
• Conversion of multicast frames to unicast frames
• Location services to track the location of clients"

When are we likely to see feature parity here? I assume the issue is due to early code from QCA and the fact it is a new code base from them, one that has to work with a co-processor, which may take time to integrate with.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Shail Talati

Shail Talati

• 17 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Nick - Yes the driver based on early code version from partner. And we're already working on newer version.

Due to the nature of this cutting edge technology some of the features may not make it to our standard release for few months or in some cases - Never.

We're working on prioritizing some of the features from the above list and will publish a plan.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Thanks! Makes perfect sense.
Photo of Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

• 43 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Nick, where did you get the release notes from?
Photo of Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

• 43 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
thanks mate.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Shail,

What's the state of play for the new HiveAP 230? I noticed, for example, that it has not yet been certified for Protected Management Frames (802.11w) so I assume that feature is not yet supported.

And is there any update for the HiveAP 370 and HiveAP 390? (If there was a plan published, sorry, I missed it!)

Thanks,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Hi Nick

Are you using 802.11w currently?

I had enabled it for a few days but started to notice some strange behaviour among the APs. In a few of the APs the HMOP displayed the radios as - and - and the power as - and -.

Additionally client side support seems limited to MS windows 8 at this moment, but I could be wrong, which means enabling it, one would have to select optional.

Just wanted to see if others are using it and if any issues have arisen.

Cheers
A
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
For the moment, I use it on a dedicated secure SSID where its use is mandatory for clients that support it with HiveAP 330s - mainly with Windows 8 and Linux clients that support the feature.

I have not noticed that behaviour in HMOL, but then I haven't been looking!

Personally, I see it as a very important feature for an AP to have to prevent certain classes of security vulnerability.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Cheers

What I would like to see is a separation of church and state.
there should be an option to select mandatory for infrastructure devices, but optional for clients if they support it.

I'll have to enable it again and pay attention, maybe cpu issues, maybe capwap issues, maybe there was no issues other then what was displayed in HM.

A