When can we expect to see a Flash Free HM/HMO/GUI?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Just curious what plans (if any) Aerohive has for eliminating the need for Adobe Flash for viewing certain info within HM/HMO? Is there a timeline?

I've kicked Flash to the curb on both my work and personal PCs and Macbook and I suspect (hope) others are doing the same especially with Adobes track record of late.
Photo of intvlan1shut

intvlan1shut

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I'm the Product Manager for HiveOS, not HiveManager, but I think I can answer your question anyway.

HiveManager-NG does not use Flash. Our development efforts are focused there, not on the legacy HiveManager, it is unlikely that we will spend any effort in modifying the legacy HiveManager when customers have the option and ability to migrate to HM-NG.
Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Where in HiveManager/HiveManager Online are you seeing Adobe Flash being required currently?
Photo of intvlan1shut

intvlan1shut

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
one example - Monitor - all devices - "AP XXX" : the "System at a glance" window

I'll post more examples if I run across any
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Baring political issues, it should become technically largely be a moot point when HM-NG gets feature parity in the important areas with classic HM and users are able to move over.

As far as mitigation today goes, the sandboxed version of Flash available under Google's Chrome has recently been significantly hardened from a security perspective and it's also automatically always kept up-to-date:

http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/07/significant-flash-exploit-mitigations_16.html

Unless you're a high value target to a very determined entity, it's highly unlikely you'll ever get targeted by a chain of unknown zero-days in Flash and Chrome, and/or the underlying OS.

I agree that it's not ideal. Flash also isn't available on mobile platforms.
(Edited)
Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Quite right - I hadn't noticed that this screen (and the "Statistics Details" under Monitor -> Clients -> Client) still use Flash!! A bit crazy when the other places where almost identical graphs are displayed were converted to HTML years ago.

As Mike says though, I would be flabbergasted if this gets looked at with the focus on NG. As far as I can tell, there is literally no development effort going into current HM. Even new features are not being given GUI elements in "classic" HM - instead, we're expected to use the highly limited "Supplemental CLI" to push out some of these new features (for example, VLAN pooling in 6.6) until we can move to NG. It's making things a bit frustrating at the moment, though I understand (largely) the reasons behind it.

On a side-note, I do think Aerohive are over-estimating how quickly customers, especially Enterprise customers, will move to NG, even when "feature parity" is there - most of my customers would treat such a change as a project which would need to be scheduled and there are costs involved in terms of some necessary re-design, engineering and consultancy services, re-training etc. no matter how easy Aerohive make it commercially from a product perspective.