We are excited to announce that we have launched our new Hive Community! HiveNation will remain as an archive, but all new posts, discussions, and articles will be created on Hive Community. You can visit our new community at thehivecommunity.aerohive.com
Throughout Aerohive Hivemanager documentation, the support site, and the Hivemanager Online GUI there are references to Guest Manager, User Manager and ID Manager. What is the difference between these things and how they are used?
User Manager is embedded into HiveManager (no additional license required for User Manager) and allows a User Manager Admin (UMA) or User Manager Operator (UMO) to create PPSK accounts. These accounts include Permanent (PPSK manually generated) or Temporary (PPSK auto generated). Screenshot attached.
ID Manager (IDM) is the new written-from-the-ground-up guest manager and currently available as a Cloud-service-only option (subscription basis). Only Aerohive PLM or SE can confirm if On-Premise will be available in future.
Some key takeaways below:
1. User Manager is all about PPSK accounts only.
2. IDM is cloud-based guest management solution that provides auth options for OPEN (no authentication), PPSK or 802.1X (RADIUS) based accounts.
3. IDM has few more Report / Logging "toggles".
4. IDM comes with SMS service (as at 2013) as part of the license bundle.
5. IDM is designed around self-registration kiosks and customising guest user experience with multiple guest user profiles.
6. IDM next version will be even sexier.
To summarise, if you are after basic guest management to enable reception or IT support to provision permanent/temporary PPSK accounts then go with User Manager. If you are after something with more options and custom expiring accounts then go with IDM.