What does "supports up to 500 virtual HiveManagers" mean?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I'm reading the PDF for HiveManager, and I see the verbiage:

"Supports up to 500 virtual HiveManagers"

What does this mean exactly? Does one HiveManager act as a puppet master for the others? Or are these somehow backups that act in active-passive?

Rogelio
rogelio @ rndmedia . com
Photo of Rogelio

Rogelio

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Rogelio,

When the manual speaks of 'Virtual Hivemanagers' I suspect it speaks of the VHM's you can deploy under a Hivemanager Virtual. Could you tell me which manual you were reading for the Hivemanager? This way I might be able to clarify further.

Cheers,

Stefan
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Many of our on-premises customers have delegated responsibility for subsets of their collection of Aerohive products. Our on-premises HiveManager software supports the ability for you to build multiple virtual instances of HM so that each of those administrative domains have their own instance of HM, their own collection of managed hardware, etc.

Think of it as a virtual private cloud that you own and operate.
Photo of Matthew Rudkowski

Matthew Rudkowski

• 38 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Mike's answer is spot on.
Just as an example, I'm currently implementing this on our on premise hive manager so that a subsidiary we own will basically have their own hive manager (vHM) and access to only the locations/APs at their sites.
Photo of Rogelio

Rogelio

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is what I'm looking at

http://www.aerohive.com/products/soft...

So, if I make a VM, how many backup VMs can I make (in active-passive configurations)?

Sounds like there are two issues, correct?

1) HMs that logically point to other HMs (for separate remote management of different groups of APs)
2) backup HMs that have synchronized databases (in case the primary fails).

Long story short, I'm trying to find the limits of each so I know how to plan a large AP deployment (if we use Aerohive). It's a multi-tenancy situation, which is why I think Aerohive would be best suited for the task. : )

Rogelio
rogelio @ rndmedia .com