What are your thoughts on upgrading to 802.11ac - should you upgrade now, or wait?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
This question was posed to attendees of our March 27 802.11ac webinar with Infonetics. Please feel free to chime in on this conversation, even if you did not attend "The Great 802.11ac Migration: Upgrade Now, or Wait?"

Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 396 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul

Paul

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It looks like the best thing may be to wait.  Right now we don't have any AC clients and I haven't seen many builds with AC yet either so it may just be best to wait for the higher speeds of wave two.
Photo of Joel V

Joel V

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Have you thought about what the impact to a network of AC clients would have on your back end network?  POE infrastructure?  Policy enforcement?

Just curious...
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Initially I was looking at it from a future proofing standpoint.  When wireless N devices started creeping up we couldn't accommodate them because we didn't have APs that supported N.  We had been looking into the possibility of upgrading some of our access points to ac however after the webinar there were definitely some things that I hadn't considered like the higher POE requirement of ac APs.  I also didn't realize that the APs that supported ac today would be significantly different in the speeds that they could support.  I'm actually really glad that I attended the webinar so that some of those things could be brought to light.  We're going to go with three more AP350s for now and look at bringing in some ac APs next year after wave two is released.  Any word on when that will be for Aerohive (1st Quarter)?
(Edited)
Photo of Joel V

Joel V

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I think in general the most visibility any vendor can give for Wave 2 is 2015 seems likely.  Any more specificity right now would be over promising (in my opinion).