What are some of the advantages using BR100/200 as opposed to an AP?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Angie Tellmann

Angie Tellmann

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Bradley Chambers

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Angie,

There are a lot of use case. The BR200 especially is great for a teleworker. An IT department can ship a Voip phone and a BR200 to an employee. They could then plug the BR200 into their Internet connection and then the voip phone would be powered by the POE ports. The BR200-WP also provides WiFi as well.

At our office, we use the BR's for off campus locations that we provide network access. Instead of having to buy a separate firewall/dhcp solution along with an AP, we just use a BR200. I manage IT for a church/k-5 school network. The church is launching some additional campuses for Sunday worship and a BR200-WP and an AP330 is going to be the only network gear onsite. It's perfect for a multi site setup. You can get full insight into what is going on network wise from the same interface as your AP's.

This doesn't even begin to mention the cloud VPN solutions that the BR provides as well.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Angie,
I was waiting to see if any other customers wanted to give you their perspective, but it appears everyone agrees with me that Bradley gave you excellent reasons.

There are a few other advantages compared to generic APs or even some other members of the HiveOS family he didn't mention such as the ability to use a 3G/4G modem for the WAN interface, the ability to automatically tunnel via IPSec back to your central facilities, layer 3 isolation of the wired and wireless networks instead of bridging them together, etc.
Photo of Bradley Chambers

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
The layer 3 isolation is awesome!
Photo of Angie Tellmann

Angie Tellmann

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you guys for the information!!