What POE injector will unlock the full capabilities of my AP320 and AP340?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I purchased new injectors that claim to be 802.3af/at because I was told I needed one in order to enable eth1 on a device (without having to plug the router into the wall). The injector I purchased is a 48v 35W injector, which according to specs should work. But eth1 is still disabled. Is there a certain injector that I need? Is the fact that it is compatible with either standard the problem? What do I need to get? I still have time to return these and get something else.

Photo of Omar

Omar

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tony

Tony

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you go into the Monitor tab of your HiveManager, place a check mark next to the AP and click Modify. You will then want to expand the "Interface and Network Settings". You should then see "Advanced Port Settings", once you expand that you should see the option to change the Admin State of Eth1 to "Up" (if it is not already).
Photo of Omar

Omar

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That didn't work. It's always said UP. That's not the problem.
Photo of gddawson

gddawson

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You may need to tell the AP to use AT power - I've had 230s choose AF when the injector is capable of both.

In device config -> Advanced, there is a POE mode setting, select AT.
Photo of gddawson

gddawson

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Which version are you running? Attached is a screenshot of the Advanced settings on 6.4
Photo of Omar

Omar

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's not what mine looks like. I'm on Hive Manager Express 6.4r1:
Photo of gddawson

gddawson

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, so this may be a difference in Enterprise and Express versions.
If you can ssh to the AP you can set the power mode directly with:
system power-mode 802.3at
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Omar,
As you have now discovered, Express mode makes certain assumptions on your behalf, pre-populates some objects, and hides some options that are visible in Enterprise mode.

You can easily change from Express mode to Enterprise mode (BUT NOT THE REVERSE)  under the home/device management settings menu within HiveManager.
Photo of Omar

Omar

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Thanks.

I'm not sure I will do that yet as I don't have the time to troubleshoot whatever issues such a change might cause. Just plugging it into the wall seems a simpler solution at this point.

It seems to me that if Express mode keeps you from being able to do something as simple as plug in a device to one of the Ethernet ports while using PoE, this is at least an oversight and probably qualifies as a bug. If there's a really good technical reason why the device must default to a kind of power that leaves it crippled (inoperable Ethernet ports, etc.), then at the very least one should be able to toggle that without having to switch to Enterprise mode.

Furthermore, the description for Express and Enterprise mode listed on the device is incorrect. According to the Aerohive, the difference between Express and Enterprise is:

Express (supports a single network policy for APs)

Enterprise (supports one or more network policies for APs, routers, and switches)

As demonstrated in this discussion, this is not the only difference between the two modes.

It would be great if these issues were at least brought up for discussion with developers.

Thanks a lot for your help.