What make Aerohive AP is Unique from another product ?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Photo of Azfar Nazari Zainudin

Azfar Nazari Zainudin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I've been waiting to see if any of our customers or partners wanted to answer this first, as I expect their answers to be more compelling to you than mine, but since they haven't...

Our cooperative control protocols, making a collection of otherwise standalone APs act as a single "system" is pretty unique in the enterprise AP space. As far as I know, all other enterprise APs require a dedicated controller or a designated device to act as a controller, in order to accomplish similar things.

I believe that Private PSKs are also unique to Aerohive, giving you the same ability to create or destroy individual user or device credentials as 802.1x, without any special requirements on the client devices. If they understand PSKs then they'll work with PPSKs.

There are plenty of other differentiators, but these are the two most important in my mind.

Azfar Nazari Zainudin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks....

Azfar Nazari Zainudin

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can you explain more about the stand alone AP ? What they can do ? what are the functions that they have and make them stand alone ?

we used Aruba AP before, and we required to give the IP,subnet, gateway for each AP and point them to the controller...
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
 Azfar, your question has many possible answers, depending which other products are being compared. I do concur with Mike. Other players in this space have scrambled to get on board with distributed WLAN systems, with varying success. AH was built this way from the ground up years ago. 

I'm sure plenty of other posters would be happy to state the reasons why they decided to go with AH. For us, at the time we chose to deploy an enterprise WLAN, AH was pretty much the only game in town that didn't require controllers...a no brainer for us. They have steadily developed their feature sets and product line, now beyond the wifi realm. We are now using their APs, switches, and routers.

It seems that with the exponential growth they have earned, it has come with some growing pains. I would cite support as one of those areas. They do appear to be diligently addressing their issues. I hope this helps.

Best,
BJ