what is the best hiveOS release for hivemanager 32b (blue) with 40 AP110 and 9 AP121 connected

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago

HI, I want to upgrade an old configuration composed of a hivemanager (blue 1U 3G RAM) and 48 AP110 in order to add 9 new AP121 and make them work fine together. Actual HiveOS release is 6.1.r6 on AP110 and 6.4.r1b on hivemanager. 

So, what is the actual best and stable release to download for AP110 and Hivemanager ?

Thanks.

Photo of GIRARD Denis

GIRARD Denis

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
HiveOS version 6.5r5 is the latest and best release for the hardware you have and plan to add. 

You should use a HiveManager version equal to or greater than the HiveOS version for best results. I recommend HiveManager 6.8r4 as it is the latest released to date.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I'm going to have to add a caveat to Mike's recommendation. If you are using WPA2-Enterprise (802.1X), I would recommend using HiveOS 6.5r4 instead of 6.5r5.

When we upgraded our APs to 6.5r5, we started seeing event ID 13 and 14 on our NPS servers (Windows Server 2008 R2).
Event ID 14 is about a RADIUS message sent from a RADIUS client with an invalid authenticator. We also saw this with HiveOS 6.8r1 on AP230/130/1130s. And any AP that generated this message would fail the RADIUS Test in HM.
Event ID 13 is about a RADIUS message sent from an invalid RADIUS client IP address. The interesting thing about this message is that the invalid RADIUS client IP address was that it was an IPv4 mapped IPv6 address.
These messages didn't appear for every AP nor all the time. But there were certain spurts throughout the day that this would occur. But as soon as you downgrade to 6.5r4, RADIUS Test is successful and you no longer get these error messages. So we have downgraded all APs to 6.5r4.

Sorry Mike, but I've been too busy (and lazy) to submit a support ticket. It's on my list of things to do, but there are just way too many projects going on right now.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Thanks for looking into this. Will you also be looking into why some APs are sending IPv4 mapped IPv6 addresses in their RADIUS messages?

Thanks,
Bill
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,

Ideally, a support case should be filed over that so that we are able as a support team to open a CFD (Customer Found Defect) after reproducing and triaging.

Regards,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Yes, I know I should open a support case for this. But we are in the middle of online testing, so I haven't had much time to deal with it. Once this testing window closes, I should have more time to investigate this more with support.

Thanks,
Bill
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,

We are tracking the issue with the RADIUS Accounting Request Authenticator calculation as CFD-2127.

The RADIUS test is possibly failing because it does not behave as a real client does as it uses plain PAP, CHAP or CHAPv2 and not a TLS-based EAP type.

Can you confirm that the RADIUS server is configured to allow the test to succeed and that it does succeed with an older version of HiveOS?

Thanks,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Yes, the RADIUS Test does succeed with other versions (6.8r1 and 6.5r5 are the only 2 versions we've encountered with this issue); it's been a great troubleshooting tool over the years. That is what led me to downgrade. We first encountered this with our AP230/1130/130s when they were upgraded to 6.8r1. At one of our sites that is a mix of AP230s (6.8r1) and AP330/350s (6.5r4) we were troubleshooting random connectivity issues and observed many Event ID 14 messages on our NPS server. I was using RADIUS Test to verify things were OK. And I noticed that it was just the AP230s that were failing while the AP330/350s were all fine. So I downgraded the AP230s to 6.5r4. Once I did this, the RADIUS Test succeeded for them and we didn't see any more Event ID 14 messages.

Then a couple of weeks ago we upgraded our APs to 6.5r5. When we did this, we began seeing the Event ID 14 messages again. This time it would occur on any model AP. And Event ID 13 messages also began appearing. So we have downgraded all APs back to 6.5r4.