What 3g/4G modems work with BR100/200 in the UK?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
We are thinking about using the BR100/Br200 to deploy to some of our relocating smaller offices and were thinking that 3G/4G was a good option to get them going until we can get some fixed line comms in. BUt the documentation looks alittle patchy on which modems are supported,
I don't know if sierra wireless were ever available in the UK, and i think they have been bought by netgear now.
the Huawei models were available but aren't anymore, even from Huawei.

Any one got any ideas of options we can use or how the flexible USB modem support works?
Photo of Enviable

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ferruccio Militello

Ferruccio Militello

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have same big problem in Italy. None have more device that running with BR100/BR200.
If someone in Aerohive can help us it's very appreciate.
Photo of Joe Fraher

Joe Fraher, Official Rep

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I checked with Technical Support and Product Management and learned that unfortunately there currently aren't any modems that are supported in the UK. Some work is in development, but I'm afraid there isn't anything at this point. The same holds true for Italy. Sorry about that.
Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, the mobile carriers seem to change their "current" range of dongles more often than I change my socks, which makes it practically impossible for Aerohive (and others) to keep up - fortunately though, we do have the ability to add support for new devices ourselves through the HiveOS CLI.

For example, we're using the Vodafone ZTE K5008-Z (which is a Vodafone-branded ZTE 823) successfully in the UK. I think you can still get these, though they're not the "current" model showing on Vodafone's website.

This device presents itself as a USB network adapter rather than a modem, so requires very little configuration in HiveOS (it uses the generic Linux usbnet driver in cdc-ether mode). Details here (note you will need to push these CLI commands out using supplemental CLI):

Any other device which operates as a USB network adapter and is supported by the generic Linux usbnet driver should work too - all you need to do is change the USB vendor-id and product-id as appropriate (you can find these out by plugging the device in to a Windows PC and checking the IDs in device manager, or ideally - in case the device does any funny business as this one does - into a Linux PC and checking lsusb).

For devices which present as modems rather than network adapters (using the usbserial driver), it gets more complicated as you would need to work out the exact dial-string parameters that are needed etc. - in general if you can get the device working in Linux, it *should* be possible to configure it to work in HiveOS with the appropriate usbmodem commands on the CLI.