wan link bonding, load balancing and failover on a BR200

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Does the BR200 support bandwith aggregation, load balancing, and automatic fail over for WAN links? Can it support dual WAN links, in addition to a cellular connection?

I am looking to use a BR200 at a number of remote retail locations. I need to be able to support two WAN links (T1, DSL/Cable) and a 3G/4G backup link. Ideally, I would like to be able to aggregate the links. But at a minimum, I need to fail over traffic automatically if the primary WAN link goes down. And if both WAN links go down, fail over to the cellular connection.

Is this doable?

I understand that the BR family can support the cellular backup link via internal or external modem.
Photo of cain2k

cain2k

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Coleman

David Coleman, Official Rep

• 209 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
We do not support bonding but you can have up to three uplinks.   We have policy-based routing that will allow you to route different types of traffic up the different uplinks.  For example,  you could route employee traffic  out one WAN link through your main ISP.   You could then route customer and guest traffic out a different WAN link through to a different Internet gateway such as a DSL provider.  A cellular WAN uplink can also be a primary link.  As you mentioned, cellular uplink is normally used as a failover if the primary link goes down.  The switch-over to the cellular is triggered by an IP-Tracking policy and lose of IP connectivity on the primary link.   Routing policy rules can be written based upon IP tracking.
Photo of David Coleman

• 209 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Bottom line you can have the Cellular uplink and the T1 WAN link active at the same time, you will just have to define what user traffic gets routed through each link
Photo of Beskee

Beskee

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We will not be using the Cellular uplink as we already have two DSL links. So am I still ok to use two WAN ports via Ethernet ports to create policy based routing for different traffic over separate WAN links  but in addition send all traffic over one WAN link should the other fail?
Photo of David Coleman

• 209 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes

Yes, you can do that. You can use the default WAN port and then use a device template that designates one of the other Ethernet ports as a secondary WAN port.  You can create separate routes for both WAN ports and additionally create failover IP tracking policies that makes each port the failover WAN port for the other one.

Photo of Beskee

Beskee

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That good to know what I'm trying to achieve is possible. I have configured the routing policies and tracking but the failover does not seem to pick up that one route has failed. If I discount one WAN port no failover, if I restart the router the failover then works and switches to the backup WAN.