Vlan probe not working on AP121

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have many AP121s deployed, and I just noticed an issue with a bunch of them on 6.1r6 code. When I try to do a vlan probe, the window comes up like normal, and I can start the probe, but when it comes time for the probe to display information I get nothing. I am only seeing this issue on APs with uptime over somewhere around 38 days.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Interesting.

Are these APs experiencing low memory conditions after around the 38 days you mention?

It may well be that resource constraints are precluding the probe from functioning as expected.

Can you reproduce this with up-to-date code?

6.2r1 is the latest for the AP121, not 6.1r6.

It is also rather likely that within that rough time span, 6.4r1 will be available.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree that it is interesting. The APs are not experiencing low memory conditions. 6.1r6 is most current for us as we have not upgraded to 6.2r1 for our hive yet.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You would need to update to HiveManager, yes. If you're using HMOL, you could ask your point of support (Aerohive or reseller) to action this for you.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have an on prem setup. We will look into the upgrade. Thanks.
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
You may need to change the timeout value to a higher value. If you have a big subnet and high broadcast traffic, it may take longer for the AP to get a reply from the DCHP server.
http://prntscr.com/5ihx8u
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It isn't a timeout issue. if it were a timeout issue I would still expect to see a response showing that the probe was unsuccessful, but all I can see is the blank vlan probe screen.
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I see, I interpreted it incorrectly. I am not aware of this issue on this version. It is either the HM does not send the VLAN probe command to the AP, or the AP does not accept or cannot execute the command due to CPU load or something else,  as the result you don't get any result. Did you also try VLAN probe from the AP? did it work?

AH-015f80#interface mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 1 4          

local=DHCP server configured on local device;

DHCP server probing, use CTRL-C to stop
  1- 10(ms) 
  2-*      3-*      4-*   
DHCP Tests performed for VLANs 1-4
Passed for VLANs: 1 
Failed for VLANs: 2 3 4 

I do, however,  also recommend to upgrade the HM to the latest version. There are several bugs fixed in the latest version (6.4r1) which should be out soon.