Using ssh to make changes to multiple AP121s

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hello,
We recently purchases 160 AP121s for our campus and have them placed in residence hall rooms. The problem is that the LED lights cannot be shut off from the hive and students complain about the bright LED light. I know the command to shut off the led, but have not been able to create a dos batch script that will allow me to do a remote command once I am logged into the device. I will then setup the syntax to go through a list of APs and shut off the LEDs.
Thanks,
Kevin
Photo of Kevin Ulshafer

Kevin Ulshafer

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Kevin,

What version of HiveOS and HiveManager are you currently running? You can specify the LED brightness (off/bright only for the AP121/141) in the Management Options from the HiveManager to accomplish your task. I just tested this option on a HiveManager running both 6.0r2a and 6.1r1 and found the following when using an AP121 running HiveOS 6.0r2a:

Disabling the LED from HiveManager 6.0r2a:
  • The AP121/141 is not included on the supported AP list for this option

• Pushing a configuration update out to an AP121/141 does not include the < no system led brightness off > command, even though it was specified in the Management Options

• The LED of the 121/141 is still on even after setting the brightness to off in Management Options

Disabling the LED from HiveManager 6.1r1:
  • The AP121/141 is still not included on the supported AP list for this option

• Pushing a configuration update out to an AP121/141 now does include the < no system led brightness off > command, even though not showing as supported in the Management Options

• The LED of the 121/141 is off after setting the brightness to off in Management Options

So it would appear that while we need to fix the GUI to reflect that we are now able to disable the LED on the AP121/141 from the HiveManager, that this option is now working properly in HiveManager 6.1r1.

As far as your proposed script to SSH into each AP and set a list of commands, I'm afraid that is outside of the scope of Aerohive Support. However as of HiveManager 6.1r1, this command is set properly from the HiveManager.

Hope this helps
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Secure crt allows you to build scripts

Automate repetitive tasks in SecureCRT by running scripts using VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, or Python. The script recorder builds your keystrokes into a VBScript.
Photo of Stuart Smith

Stuart Smith

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm running into a similar problem. Trying with Putty, openssh, secureCRT, a number of others and not having much luck. OpenSSH works with linux running commands remotely but not the AeroHive OS. I can do most things with Perl and the Net::Telnet or Net::Telnet::Cisco but there doesn't seem to be a Perl module for SSH on windows. Net::Telnet::Cisco is the best I've come across but I haven't been able to get it to work with hivemanager.

I'd love to be able to script a sh lldp cdp neighbor across all of our WAPs to modify the interfaces on the cisco switches accordingly. It would make life much easier...

Haven't found a solution yet.