Unable to Monitor Client Details with Wired 2300 Series Swtiches

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
We currently have pretty much zero practical visibility into our 2300 series switches for 99% of our connected clients (other than Mac address).  We were recently told by a support agent at Aerohive that their wired switches can't offer this, but I'm almost certain that I asked this specific question during pre-sales investigations and was advised that wired and wireless captrued this data.  And, furthermore there is no documentation or disclosure in any online literature mentioning such a significant shortcoming.  

It's entirely possible, this is a configuration issue on our end.  We just haven't been able to find any documents on how to resolve.

Is there a way for us to show host name and OS in NG?  And, also to ensure we are monitoring application usage with wired clients (as we can with wireless)?    

Any direction here would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Jonathan Clancy

Jonathan Clancy

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Franco Gobbetti

Franco Gobbetti

• 45 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jonathan, let me share my experience ( and talking about 2200 series): in the early days when Aerohive switches had their own OS all the info about connected clients were available and I had the opportunity to see the Connected Clients panel filled up with all you are asking for... but now that the switches host a different OS than in the past, those info are no longer available. The point is: will those info be available again in the future or after the change of OS we have to forget about it? Let's see if someone at Aerohive can clarify and give us some hope...
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
If you're using NG online rather than on-prem, click on the "How are we doing" link on the right side of the page to submit requests to engineering. 
Photo of Franco Gobbetti

Franco Gobbetti

• 45 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
News from the latest HM NG Build: looks like the visibility of the MAC ADDRESSES in the client list is back, and this is a good start while we wait for Hostname and IPv4 also to be visible in the future. Just one glitch Aerohive might be already aware of: if you go to the Switch view - Connected Clients, nothing appears in the list: go to Filter, select connected and the list of the connected clients pops up.