trying to get AP121 up & running, slow boot & capwap connection problems

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,
i have aerohive 121 AP's and i have configured them with aerohive online manager.
when i upload my network policy configuration to AP and reboot it. it takes 10-15 minutes to get the AP back to online.
When it gets online i get message "The configuration on the CAPWAP client was rolled back to an earlier version."

I probably have something wrong in my configuration about CAPWAP,
Photo of Jarno Heinonen

Jarno Heinonen

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hello Jarno,

If you are seeing a message saying "The configuration on the CAPWAP client was rolled back to an earlier version." that means that you AP(s) lost communication to the HMOL server after you pushed the last configuration update to your AP. If your AP cannot form a CAPWAP connection to the HiveManager within 10 minutes of a configuration push, then our Config Rollback feature will kick in, rebooting the AP into the last known good configuration. Unfortunately there is no specific remedy I can provide, however I would have you check a few settings that can commonly cause an AP to lose connection to your HiveManager.

1) Ensure that the Management and Native VLANs which you are assigning to your AP are appropriate for the switch port to which it is connected. If your Management and Native VLANs are the same, then the AP's management traffic (CAPWAP, etc.) will be untagged. If the Management and Native VLAN are different (Management VLAN: 200, Native VLAN: 100) then the AP's management traffic will be tagged. So if you are placing your management traffic on a particular VLAN, make sure that this VLAN has internet access out to the HMOL server on which your APs are connected. If this VLAN cannot get out to the internet then your AP will be unable to form a CAPWAP connection after the config push.

2) Make sure that the DNS server you set under "Configuration > [Network Policy] > Additional Settings > Management Server Settings > DNS Server" can resolve the domain name of your HMOL server (ex: hm-useast51-01.aerohive.com). If it cannot resolve the domain name of your DNS server (and you do not have the public IP address of the HMOL server as a backup) then your AP will be unable to form a CAPWAP connection after the config push.

These are the most common reasons for an AP losing/being unable to form a CAPWAP connection after a configuration update, but this could be caused by any number of reasons.
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
I have fixed the grammar mistakes that staustellsimon pointed out in my post.
Photo of staustellsimon

staustellsimon

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Brian Ambler needs to work on his grammar to learn the difference between your are you're...
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I'm disappointed that you are dissapointed. ;-)