trunking and the AH 170

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
i have a pair of AH 170s that i am using for access across our parking lot to the warhouse, we are trying to trunk across. i have set up my trunk ports on the cisco 3750x as such

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q 
switchport trunk native vlan 40
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-51
 switchport mode trunk

i do a POR and my first ap comes up for about 3 min then it drops offline. i never get the receiving one to come up due to the short time and perhaps config. 

Both AP's are setup with static mgmt ip
eth0 is backhaul
native vlan 40 allowed vlan all , auto transmission and speed.

i am new to aerohive so please be kind. 

Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
when it comes up for a few minutes and drops offline, are you losing the link?
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yes we lose the link.
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
check your cabling, check your port counters for errors. If your link is dropping your issue is at level 1 or 2.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
What is the far AP plugged into?  If it is plugged into a switch, the eth0 port needs to be configured to do Bridge-Access (if no VLANs other than the native) or Bridge-802.1Q (if using VLANs on the other side of the link).  If the eth0 link on the far side is set to backhaul, the AP will assume that DHCP will be coming from this interface (at least this is what I feel I was told long ago). 
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
the far AP is connectd to a cisco 3750e it is configured as a trunk port as well to support several vlan. i have set that as you suggested above.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
OK.  I just re-read what I put and I want to clarify it plus add more.  The 170s eth0 interface needs to be set to Bridge-802.1Q.  The switchport needs to be a trunk with all of the VLANs needed. 

On the "root" AP, from the CLI you can issue a show hive <your hive name> neighbor and see any hive neighbors of this particular AP.

my.root.ap#show hive my-hive-name neighbor
Chan=channel number; Pow=Power in dBm;
A-Mode=Authentication mode; Cipher=Encryption mode;
Conn-Time=Connected time; Hstate=Hive State;

Mac Addr       Chan Tx Rate Rx Rate Pow(SNR)     A-Mode   Cipher Conn-Time   Hstate Phymode Chan-width Hive
-------------- ---- ------- ------- --- ---------- -------- --------- -------- ------- ---------- ----
abcd:abcd:abcd 165   58.5M      6M -62(28)       open aes ccmp  02:07:11     Auth    11na      20MHz my-hive-name

Total neighbor count: 1
my.root.ap#

That will give you a ballpark signal reading of what the link is between the sites (at least from the root side).  You can issue the same command on the other to see the link on that side.

From there, I havent had many issues other than alignment of the antennas.  As even the omnis will need to be at somewhat the same elevation and/or tilted appropriately to line up with each other.  Also, the Fresnel zone (Google it for more in depth detail) needs to be at least 60% clear.  I think thats the number that most recommend you shoot for...
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ok i get that, the trunk ports on the switches need native vlans also correct?
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I believe so yes.  I'd make it the same as whatever your native VLAN is at the main site.  That should only come into play with the wired clients that are traversing the wireless link. 
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ok that leads me to a question, how does one console into the ap 170?
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
thank you sir.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Well umm, if you have it configured with an access_console configuration, you can use that.  Otherwise the device needs an IP so you can SSH into it with an SSH client of some sorts.  I'm not sure that virtual console (that J. Goodnough mentioned) will be there if you tried to push a config down to the gear already unless it fell back to a default config because it lost its connection to your HM.

I typically pre-configure my point-to-point devices prior to deployment for this specific reason. 
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
thanks brian, now i have spanning tree getting in the way, good times. glad you all are here to help.