Trouble with Bonjour services on AP230

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
We have some trouble reliably seeing Bonjour advertised servers on our wifi. This seems to apply both to the main Mac file server and other items like AirPlay or ChromeCast that we use in the meeting rooms.

It's an all Mac environment. When plugged in to the physical network the servers always show up, on wifi it's intermittent. It is always possible to reach the server by IP address directly in these cases, but that's not very user friendly.

Everything in our unit is on one VLAN. As far as I understand you wouldn't need the Bonjour Gateway if there is only one VLAN, but I've enabled it to test anyway. 

We're on HiveManager NG with AP230's. Any suggestions how to debug this?
Photo of Rune Sandnes

Rune Sandnes

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kevin Gee

Kevin Gee

• 54 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Rune,

As you say, you shouldn't need a Bonjour gateway on the same VLAN I don't think. That said, the other day I found a very useful page in Hive Manager under:

Monitor - Bonjour 

I am not running NG but assume this is the same in most versions.  You may have seen this but I had missed it. It appears to show all the mDNS services that the gateway detects, and has a tick agains the ones your bonjour profile is advertising. It should give some clues as to what the APs are seeing.

Regards, Kevin.
Photo of Rune Sandnes

Rune Sandnes

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the tip, but I have not found anything like this in the NG interface, unfortunately. Is there a CLI command that will show the same? 
Photo of Kevin Gee

Kevin Gee

• 54 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If you can work out which AP is acting as the gateway, then from it's CLI:

sh bonjour-gateway service local  
(Edited)
Photo of Rune Sandnes

Rune Sandnes

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, that seems to have given me some interesting data. 
I have actually tried this command earlier, on one of the APs close to where people are complaining. All of them return 0 services.

But the AP closest to me (the first one added to the system) shows 72 services, including the missing server, chromecasts and all. 

But is this supposed to show on just one AP (the one acting as gateway) or all of them?