Tool recomendations to discover disconnect problems in AP120

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi there! We have six AP120 with HiveOS 6.2r1c.1943 in the same floor, giving coverage to 70-80 users with Windows, android, and IOS. 

The point is that always there are problems with the clients trying to connect to any SSID configured in the AP.  Seeing the log, we find a lot of probe request to all the AP, even to other AP in another floor. 

We played (Always in the 5 Ghz band), changing the channels and power RSSI. 
Aparently there is no interference, rogues, attenuation problems, etc.

I will be grateful for any idea.

Best regards
Photo of Pablo Mozarovski

Pablo Mozarovski

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 131 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hello Pablo
The problem is not clear, does the clients do not connect at all? The probe requests are, I believe, normal. Even if a client is connected, they will do of-channel scanning for other channels (also needed for roaming). You also mention that you played with the 5GHz, know that the client will choose the band that it will connect. I believe Ios devices will use the 5GHz as prefered band, but other devices will use mostley the strongest signal, what is often the 2.4Ghz. So use bandsteering to force the clients to the 5Ghz band.

Pablo Mozarovski

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Hans,
Sometimes and not everybody have those problems. Sometimes work fine, i dont know if depends of the OS, NIC drivers, etc. It's very difficult to make a study due there are more than 300 clients in the bulding with, Wintel, Mac, android, etc
There are Laptops, mobile phones, Ipad, Surface, etc.

We played with the 5Ghz band because, we realize that some AP's in the 5Ghz band had the same channel very close and the power signal was overlap. We changed the channel and reduce the signal in some AP.
In the 2.4 Ghz band everything was fine.
Do you think use bandsteering to force the clients to the 5Ghz band it's a good idea? i belived that the 5 Ghz it's better about the quality but it's more unstable, don't?

Regards
Photo of Maurice van Zundert

Maurice van Zundert

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi there,

We had a similar issue with AP121, after a lot of research from Aerohive and our Dutch supplier it seemed that the APs themselves made about 7000 connections to one another even when no clients were connected.

Seeing that the AP121 only supports about 8000 connections at the same time this caused problems.
In our case the fireware Application Services was the issue, disabling this resolved it.

Do you have Application Firewalling going? I.e. for Facebook / Bittorrent etc?
You might have a look at that.

Regards,
Maurice

Pablo Mozarovski

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Maurice,

We will keep in mind this. I am going to see the connections number in the Fw log.

Regards
Photo of Maurice van Zundert

Maurice van Zundert

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is the command line to check the connections:

Sh fo ip-s

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Have you updated to HiveOS 6.5r3?