throughput issues AP230

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
We have a school with 6 sites. At 2 sites we have a throughput issue with the AP230's, a summary of the situation:
- it takes a few attempts before we can login, as PPSK as 802.1x
- when we execute an SSH client on an AP and ping the default gateway, we have packetloss up to 35%
- there is no exesive noice or interference sources (tested with spectrum analyzer)
- when we test the throughput with Ekahau Site Survey, there is a lot of throughput stop
- the connection is always great
- we tested different AP230's, all of them shows the same issues
- when we connect the UTP-cable of the AP's in our laptops and do the same tests, everything is ok
- we even executed the Ekahau throughput test over one AP (so no use of ethernet backhaul) and we see the packetloss 

It is very hard to pinpoint the possible cause. We already fine tuned the radio profiles but no luck. So any advice is welcome.
Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 131 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Hans,

Some questions;

What version of HiveOS are you running?

- it takes a few attempts before we can login, as PPSK as 802.1x
It's the same issue with both PPSK and Dot1x login?

- when we execute an SSH client on an AP and ping the default gateway, we have packetloss up to 35%
So this is suggesting the delay is on the wired side and not the radio side since you are pinging from the AP to the DG over the eth0 port.

- there is no exesive noice or interference sources (tested with spectrum analyzer)
as above, sounds like the delay is on the wired side

- when we test the throughput with Ekahau Site Survey, there is a lot of throughput stop
- the connection is always great
- we tested different AP230's, all of them shows the same issues
- when we connect the UTP-cable of the AP's in our laptops and do the same tests, everything is ok
Laptops do not support trunk ports so I assume are only picking up a single VLAN. I would investigate the VLAN configuration on you switchports. What is allowed? What are the VLANs for? Are the VLANs for wireless users only or are they shared with other services?

- we even executed the Ekahau throughput test over one AP (so no use of ethernet backhaul) and we see the packetloss

|t would be useful to see interface counters to see what traffic is seen and what the AP is doing with it.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 131 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Garry
Thx for the reply.
The only factor that I can not explain is the throughput test between two clients connected on the same AP (so I believe the AP receives the wireless traffic of laptop 1 and send it back in the air to laptop 2 without the us of wired backhaul). This test was also negative with a lot of throughput errors.
Photo of Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews

• 52 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hans...  I've been dealing with a similar issue.  Try this while ssh'ed into the AP:

# show interface wifi0 counter | include multicast

Issue the command every second or so and see how rapidly the frame count rises.
Photo of Hans Matthé

Hans Matthé

• 131 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hey Tony, the problem was solved by transfering to Hivemanager NG, beats me why.
However, out of interest, what was the cause and solution at your problem?
Thx
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Did you look in the Events log?  Sounds obvious but there is a large amount of detail from the access points logged here.