This profile cannot be modified...

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I am recently receiving an error when trying to make a change to a Local User Group profile.  As soon as the interface loads, a temporary message with a green backgrounds says: This profile cannot be modified because it is being used by a local user or you have no permission.  At first I thought this meant that someone else was making changes to the group profile, because I'm sure I have permissions. 

How can I modify this profile group? Do I have to somehow unassociate all local users that use the profile?  I read somewhere that I would have to delete all the users.
Photo of Marcus Abarbanel

Marcus Abarbanel

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
A screenshot of the error might be useful. Also, I know that if you have multiple instances/windows of HM open this can cause problems when making configuration changes. 
Photo of Marcus Abarbanel

Marcus Abarbanel

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

So I did find out that you have to remove the associated users prior to making a modification to a group profile.  This is because users associated with the profile have keys that are linked to the profile.  Because of this link, you can't make modification of the profile on the fly.  This appears to be from the fact that Aerohive isn't capable of "grandfathering" in the users who became members of the profile before the intended change.
Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
That would be correct Marcus - you will also find this to be the case with SSIDs, CWP, and any other objects associated with a network policy. For example, you would have to remove 'Test_SSID' from a network policy before you could delete the SSID object itself.