Support tools for 802.11ac

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
What is the outlook for additional tools, other than planner/survey tools, such as sniffers to assist in testing and troubleshooting 802.11ac?
Photo of Dale Imler

Dale Imler

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of EvaldasOu

EvaldasOu

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Omnipeek Wildpackets can help you when sniffing 802.11ac traffic:
http://www.wildpackets.com/products/w...
Photo of Dale Imler

Dale Imler

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know they have an initial product. How would you capture data on multiple channels, multiple clients and BSS communicating at high data rates today without actually using a set of AP themselves? And you still have issues with where to write the data to quickly enough to not drop data that might be important?
Photo of Matthew Gast

Matthew Gast

• 284 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
To capture traffic on multiple channels, you need multiple radios, whether in the same computer or in different computers. I find that I wind up using filtering rules quite a lot in my work, and at one point I was super-adept at writing Wireshark rules to filter on particular information element contents. (I have lost most of that knowledge, but I can still look it up when I need to.) One of the reasons why infrastructure vendors often build in capture tools is that we can ensure that you get a capture from the client device, no matter what AP it is attached to or how it roams.