Strange characters in console AP250

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hi All,

I am lost... Connecting to this AP250 on management port via ch341-uart converter. 9600/8/N/1 in GtkTerm.

The output is as follows:

What am I missing?

Thanks, any help highly appreciated!!!
Photo of Franz Krauth

Franz Krauth

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
This sure looks like a baud rate mismatch to me. Have you tried your terminal application on another AP to confirm it is operating at the expected settings? If so, try connecting at 19200 baud, perhaps the device was changed by someone else?
Photo of Franz Krauth

Franz Krauth

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your answer Mike,

I have tried all possible baud rates - nothing usable. The device is new out of the box - unlikely it was ever configured after factory setup. I only have an AP230 for testing, but will try with that one!
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Franz,
It's rare, but occasionally internal connectors can shake loose in transit, and if the console connector has poor or missing connections on the inside then you can also get similar results. If your AP230 console connection works with the terminal emulator then I suggest you contact your reseller and RMA the AP250.
Photo of Franz Krauth

Franz Krauth

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike,

The AP230 did exactly the same. So I had an issue with my gear/setup. After a couple of rounds of troubleshooting, it turned out to be a driver issue. I use a serial - USB bridge...  A wild google hunt produced a working set of drivers - all good now, CLI works on both APs!

Again, thanks for your help!!
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Ohhh geez. The infamous USB/serial bridge!! Finding the right FTDI drivers and praying your new cable isn't using a fake FTDI chip has become a seemingly annual exercise for me. 

Glad you figured it out.
Photo of Franz Krauth

Franz Krauth

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
At least its not a monthly exercise... :-) Thanks for your help though Mike. Otherwise my Confirmation bias would have me running in circles for eternity...
I only got it working under Windows (which I run in KVM on a Linux host). Maybe a FAQ about those somewhere? Who has a serial port... most people don't even know how it looks any more!!