Stable HiveOS for AP230

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
We are running HiveOS 6.8r1 for our AP230s and wondering if the newer OSs are stable - 7.1r1 or 8.0r1 or 8.1r1.

Thanks
Photo of Raj

Raj

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
The most stable branch of HiveOS for that hardware currently is in the 6.5rX line, the latest was just released last week and is version 6.5r8. The feature set was largely frozen well over a year ago and it has only received bug-fixes since then.

The 7.x/8.x branch of code (we stopped doing any maintenance on 7.x once 8.0r1 was released) is still getting new features, which can introduce instability or unexpected adverse interactions between existing and new features despite our best intentions and exhaustive pre-release testing.

If you are using features not available in HiveOS 6.5r8, then my advice would be to upgrade to version 8.1r1 (also released last week). 
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I just upgraded my HiveManager to v8.0r1 a few weeks ago and I upgraded the AP230 access points at two of our elementary schools to HiveOS 8.0r1 about 9 days ago.  This week was our first week of school and no issues have been reported yet, but the wireless activity at these two schools has also been fairly light as the Chromebooks that each student gets haven't been handed out yet.  They'll be handed out next week so I expect a lot more wireless activity beginning next week.  If they run through the rest of September without any issues, then I will schedule the other 24 schools to be upgraded.  We're currently running HiveOS 6.5r6 at the other 24 schools.  Over 1600 AP230 access points throughout our district so I want this to be a slow upgrade to 8.0r1 just to make sure it's stable.
Photo of Fernando Henrique

Fernando Henrique

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Rob,

Could you tell if the upgrade to 8.0r1 was stable after the test?

Thank You!