SR2024P Switch beeping?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hello,

Last night one of our PC Techs were here late and noticed a strange beeping noise coming from our switch closet. He tracked it down and said that our Aerohive SR2024P switch has a consistent beeping noise come from it for about 3 minutes then it stopped after that.

I tried to research the issue but could find nothing to do with this.

Has anyone else experienced this and what is the cause?

Thank you,
-j.m
Photo of j.m

j.m

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
j.m.,
Have you examined the Event and Alarm logs on your HiveManager to see if there are messages from the switch matching that timeframe?
Photo of j.m

j.m

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have and I don't see any relevant information. No alarms for this switch nor anything in the events.

Are there any indicators that would have caused this to beep? What would they be? I would just like to keep an eye on it for the time being.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
I was hoping you would come back and tell me that yes conveniently at the same time the switch had rebooted. 

There is no buzzer or beeper inside the switch. The suspicion below that it was a UPS warning of low battery was my first thought as well.
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Are there any performance degradation during this time?   I have never heard them beep in my environment.  Is there a UPS in the IDF that could be beeping and the PC Tech was mistaken? 
Photo of j.m

j.m

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No noticeable performance degradation, no complaints from our overnight crew. I'm not ruling out that it could have been the UPS, but want to make sure that this switch does not have any "beeping" alarms or triggers, ya know?
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I have never heard of audible alarms on the switches 
Photo of j.m

j.m

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well this actually helped us solve our problem!

It was NOT the Aerohive switch, but in fact our UPS needing a battery replacement.

2 things:
1. It is in a downstairs closet and the people working downstairs didn't tell us about it (for about a week and a half).
2. There was an old machine in front of the UPS that was blocking the LED indicator lights. We do indeed need to replace the battery.

Thank you both to Travis and Mike.

-j.m
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Sounds great!  Glad we could be of assistance!  Likes for all!