Solved: AP230 Reboot!

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
I just wanted to post this in case anyone is having the same issue.

In a gym we have 3 AP230's and in another building (large open area) we have 2 AP230's. These AP230's were rebooting about every 15min constantly. After trying different versions of HiveOS with the help of Aerohive support, 6.5r4 have been extremely stable.

If you have AP230's rebooting deepening on your issue, 6.5r4 might help.
Photo of Adam Clegg

Adam Clegg

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of MST

MST

• 152 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
HI Adam, this is the cure not only for rebooting but other problems as well, We have spend a lot of time  troubleshooting various problems after updating from 6.5 to 6.6 and 6.8 ended up with firmware on all 230's with 6.5r4 as the most stable. Only Hivemanager VM is updated to 6.8r3 but I am loosing faith in aerohive updates / upgrades since they don't bring anything good. At least in our example based on my experience. I am not touching firmware on access points besides the HiveManager. I still believe Aerohive wifi products (the one we have) are very good and I am pleased to use them but if and when software is not buggy. 
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Looks like I'm having this same issue with some of the AP230s in my district.  I'm at one of our schools right now and I've seen at least 3 of the APs restart by themselves within a 15 minute span, and I've definitely seen one of them restart multiple times in the one hour that I've been onsite.  I'm downgrading that one from 6.5r5 to 6.5r4 right now as a test.
Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I would suggest upgrading your APs to a later HiveOS release. I'm currently running 6.6r2 on my AP230's without issues. Can you tell me more about your network policy, what authentication are you using?
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I'll give that a try.  I just looked at a few of our schools and almost every schools has a few or more APs that appear to restart at various times (looking at their uptime compared to the rest of the APs).  The one that I downgraded yesterday to 6.5r4 has not restarted since I downgraded it, whereas there were a few other APs at this school that restarted around 4pm yesterday.  We have 25 schools (almost 1400 total AP230s in operation) and I forgot that I do have two schools running on 6.6r2a and they seem to be OK.  Prior to Christmas break, we were running 6.4r1g and my Aerohive support engineer recommended that I upgraded to 6.5r5 because it was the golden release.  I was going to wait until this summer to upgrade beyond 6.5r5 as I hate doing AP upgrades while the students are in school (just a personal thing :-) ).  We use RADIUS authentication for our main SSID - staff can authenticate with their AD username and password but students have to a district-owned device to be on the wireless network (we're not doing BYOD yet).  We also have a guestnet SSID which just uses a different PSK for each school.
Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Definitely worth a look chap. That's quite a serious deployment - at least twice the size of my own. I use MAC auth for college owned devices and we use eduroam/RADIUS (which I highly recommend) to support BYOD for staff and students.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
So I'm not saying that the HiveOS version you may be using is causing an issue, but you should also look into your configs to try to see what could be causing this. What in your config is conflicting with certain HiveOS versions?

We have over 4000 AP230s and don't see this issue at all. The majority are currently at 6.5r4, but some are 6.5r5 or 7.1r1. They will all eventually be at 7.1r1 so that all my ac APs are running the same HiveOS.
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
If there is something in my config that is conflicting with certain HiveOS versions, I don't think I would be able to determine what it would be.  I would think Aerohive support would have to determine that.  The sad part is that being the wireless administrator for 1400 access points (and growing) is not my only duty. :-)  We're using the same config that we've been using since we had Aerohive installed 2 years ago, and this restart problem didn't start until I recently upgraded them to 6.5r5 over Christmas break (or so it seems that way).  If upgrading them to a newer version fixes the issue, then I'm OK with that.  I opened a case with support so that they're aware of what's going on since this doesn't seem to be the first time they've dealt with this issue.  I emailed my Aerohive support engineer who handles my account and he said he's never heard of this issue with the AP230s and 6.5r5.

Any new features in version 7?