setup of 802.1X via CLI and local radius server

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hello,
I'm trying to setup an AP141 with 802.1x and a local radius server using the CLI.
Therefore I've already browsed through many documents (Aerohive Deployment Guide, Aerohive Configuration Guide - Radius Authentication, Aerohive CLI Guide, ACWA Online-ILT-Lab Exercises), but most of the documents just cover the setup routine with HiveManager and not with CLI. If I follow the HiveManager setup instructions I often can't find the according CLI-commands.
Is there a tutorial available which uses the CLI?
Thanks!
Stefan Feirer
Photo of Stefan Feirer

Stefan Feirer

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Joe Fraher

Joe Fraher, Official Rep

• 30 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi, Stefan. As you can see, our documentation is mainly focussed on using HiveManager, not the CLI. I guess you already saw example 3 "Using IEEE 802.1X Authentication" in chapter 5 of the Aerohive Deployment Guide. It has CLI commands for setting up an SSID with 802.1X authentication, but the RADIUS server is on a non-Aerohive device, which isn't exactly what you're after.

One option you might find helpful would be to create what you want in HiveManager and then view the CLI commands that it is preparing to send to the APs. In HiveManager 6 (and earlier versions), you can see the commands by clicking the Configuration Audit icon on the Configuration > Devices > All Devices page or on the Configuration > Devices > Aerohive APs page. In HiveManager NG, the Configuration Audit icon is on the Monitor > Devices page. When you click the icon, HiveManager displays a panel with all the commands that it will upload to the AP the next time you push a configuration to it. You can then copy the commands from there.
(Edited)
Photo of Stefan Feirer

Stefan Feirer

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Joe for your support.
Yes, I've seen the documents you mentioned already but couldn't get my setup to work.

Unfortunately I have no HiveManager License yet. Is there the possibility get a trial version?
If not, where do I get a License, from aerohive sales directly or from my distributor?
Thanks, Stefan
Photo of Joe Fraher

Joe Fraher, Official Rep

• 30 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I'm glad if I can help a little. I was just poking around YouTube looking at the Aerohive videos there. Here's a video about how to register for a free HiveManager NG trial account online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQlSo_REFeg. It sounds exactly like what you need.
Photo of Stefan Feirer

Stefan Feirer

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks again, Joe. I've signed up for an trial account and now try to get it working this way!
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
A couple of points:

1. Unlike Meraki your Aerohive access point will continue to operate after your access to the NMS (HiveManager NG in this case) discontinues.
  2. After you have configured your access point as you want it SSH into it and copy the configuration out to Notepad or some equivalent.  You can now see how the configuration is built and will have a backup copy.