SCOM Monitoring AP230 and MIB Files

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Hi All i need some help in regards to monitoring Aerhive AP230 with SCOM 2016.
I have configured the SNMP settings on the devices and can add them via network discovery using either snmp2 or snmp3.  The problem i am having is they are classified as generic and not certified.

The problem is that it is only monitoring Avaliability via ICMP/SNMP responsiveness and not any of the performance stats.  I think i understand the problem in that i have to MIB files from the web portal and import them into the management pack or create a management pack using the MIB files.  

I have tried using the SNMP_MPGenerator to import the MIB files available in the Auxillary Files section of the webconsole into a MP however I keep getting errors. 

When ever i try to load the AH_SMI_MIB.txt into SNMP_MPGenerator i am getting the error

Error Parsing the MIB:ah_smi_mib.txt. Failed with error: illegal syntax for textual convention. Wrong entity, MacAddress. In D:\Folder\ah_smi_mib.txt. row: 56; column: 38. Do you want to try and continue to load other MIBS.

The line that is generating the error is the SYNTAX   MAC address as shown below

STATUS        current

DESCRIPTION   "Mgmt MAC address in hex decimal notation"

SYNTAX        MacAddress

The problem is if i try to add other MIB files such as the AH-System-MIB or AH-Interface-MIB it says it is missing dependencies : AH_SMI_MIB.

The one thing i noticed in the AH_SMI_MIB file itself is the following lines.  Does this mean the MIB files are not for the AP230?

ahAPHiveAP020_ag            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ahAP 2 }

ahAPHiveAP028_ag            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ahAP 3 }

ahAPHiveAP320_n           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ahAP 4 }

ahAPHiveAP340_n           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ahAP 5 }

Can anyone please help or explain how i can get these.  If this isnt the correct file for the AP230 can you please let me know where to get the correct MIB Files. 

Thanks in Advance,
Photo of Daniel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Daniel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any help? please
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1026 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I am not familiar with the acronym SCOM 2016, so I cannot give you application-specific help. 

You definitely need to import AH_SMI_MIB as it defines the structure of management info that appears in the other AH MIB files. You also want to import SNMPv2_SMI and SNMPv2_TC  because of these lines in AH_SMI_MIB:

FROM SNMPv2-SMI 
        TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, MacAddress
		        FROM SNMPv2-TC;
That should hopefully resolve your dependency issues.

Now for the ugly part. We took our eyes off the ball regarding SNMP a few years ago and neglected to update AH_SMI_MIB with any of the hardware platforms released as they got released. All the hardware does have working SNMP agents, and they do identify themselves to an SNMP management platform, but the MIBs themselves need to be updated so that things appear correctly within that management platform. I am working on getting this remedied ASAP. The MIB definition files are not directly coupled to any specific release of HiveOS so once we've finished I will post them here. They will also be included with the next release of HiveManager planned (I think) for near the end of March.