Rookie question about AP130 as DHCP server

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
Hi

I have a rookie question regarding setting up my AP's as DHCP. (pardon my terrible english:) )

I currently have 3 AP130 as a test-setup at work. They have static IP's (192.168.4.* with 192.168.4.254 as gateway).
What i need them to do, is giving clients a 192.168.10.* IP address. They are still allowed to see clients (printers and such) connected to the 192.168.4.* network.

I'm running HiveManager NG, and my APs use HiveOS version 6.5r7

I hope my question makes any sence, and someone would be so kind to help me with some sort of a "DHCP for dummies" guide :) Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Thomas Gerber
Photo of Thomas Gerber Jensen

Thomas Gerber Jensen

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Sam Lynn

Sam Lynn, Moderator

• 96 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hello,

You can set up the APs to act as DHCP servers. You'll want to confirm they have a static address (I know you said they already do, but we want to make sure because the AP that is your DHCP server must have a static IP to work properly). You can check this in Monitor> Devices> Select the check box next to the device you want as your DHCP server> modify. Next we need to go to Device Configuration on the left hand side menu, check the radio button next to Static Address, and then fill in the Static IP address you want applied to this AP, the netmask it should use, and the default gateway it should use.

Next we need to click Additional Device Settings (left hand side of the page)> DHCP Server and Relay. Here we can select an already created server or create a new one. You can also create a DHCP Server under Configure> Common Objects> Basic> DHCP Server and Relay and then apply it in the first location. These will create the same object, but you have two slightly different ways of applying the server to your AP.

When creating a new DHCP server we need to name the object, select the interface you want the DHCP server on, make sure the DHCP server is set as authoritative and that we are going to use ARP to check for IP address conflicts, we need to create the IP address pool, and we need to (at minimum) specify the Default Gateway and one DNS server.

When creating the IP pool, we just need to specify the starting address and ending address of the IP pool. Make sure you are not including any addresses that need to be saved (such as default gateways, radius servers, etc.) within the IP address pool. If the hive manager detects any issues with the pool you are trying to create, it will warn you.

Once you have created your DHCP server object, we can apply it to the AP by going to Monitor> Devices> Select the check box next to the device you want to act as the DHCP server> click modify > Additional Device Settings (left hand side of the page)> DHCP Server and Relay if you aren’t there already. Then we need to push out a complete configuration and then you should have an internal DHCP server set up on your Aerohive device.

Hope this helps!
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Actually we're using DHCP on our AP to avoid our guests accessing our internal network. What's the point to do that ? you can manage AP's firewall and/or your own firewall to "create breach" and accede to your internal network.

Thomas Gerber Jensen

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm doing something wrong. When i select interface mgt0.1 in configuration/DHCP Server and relay, i need to type in an IP and netmask address + VLAN ID for the interface:

I don't if thats correct. I'm pretty sure it isn't because its not working. Connected clients do actually get an IP but there is no internet connection.
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If your client get IP address, mask and DNS, it's probably because your DHCP server is running :) (Add another DNS address if you want to be sure your clients get the info from your AP)

What is the Eth0 Operation Mode of your AP, under Interface and Network Settings ? In my case I use Backhaul, so the link to my switch is tagged for my WLAN and untagged for my management interface.

Cheers,
Fabien

Thomas Gerber Jensen

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Fabien

I added another DNS, and it was added to the client, so all of that is just fine.

About Eth0 Operation Mode, im not sure what you mean. I don't really see where to set anything regarding Eth0 mode.

Regard, Thomas Gerber.
Photo of Fabien Gaille

Fabien Gaille

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Thomas,

You can get this piece of information on your AP directly : Configuration > Devices > Select AP > Interface and Network Settings.

What I mean is, your DHCP looks OK but since you're using VLAN (10 in your case), you need to be sure this VLAN exists from your AP to your router. 

If your distribution switch or your router don't know anything about this VLAN, you're not going to get anything from Internet :D

Cheers,
Fabien