Reporting statistics

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We use aerohive in our libraries, 61 physical location, all under one SSID.
I need to produce the following reports for each of the physical location.

1) Number of wireless connections per location (How many times was wifi used in each location)

2) Total Minutes of air time used in a month per location

3) Average session length per location ( I think this one could be done manually based on the previous 2 reports)

Ulitimately I'd love to be able to have each report mailed to each library, but that maybe a pipe dream.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of james.gaudet

james.gaudet

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Phil Keeley

Phil Keeley

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi James,

can I ask which version of HMOL you are using?

on version 6 there are a number of widgets in the dashboard which may give you the information you require:

These widgets can be built into reports for each library which can then be Emailed every week, automatically.
Photo of james.gaudet

james.gaudet

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using 6.1R2a.
So I can get this report but I don't understand how to get that information per location.
As well, the unique clients over time is really confusing me. In the attachment you put above, did you have 14 unique clinents over that time period, or do we need to add all of those number together manually?
Thanks for your help.
Photo of james.gaudet

james.gaudet

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Would you know if there is a video on how to configure the repots and the dashboard and how to have them emailed to different people?
I find this section of HMOL to be really confusing.
Some training, either in video format, or a manual on reporting, would be most helpful.

Thanks
Photo of Phil Keeley

Phil Keeley

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi James,

Aerohive produce a New Features Guide for most of the new features when they come out, these are publicly available from http://aerohive.com.

Go to the bottom of the main page, in the middle column, under support, there is a section call Tech Docs & Online Training, under there are all the release notes for every version and a new features guide. The one relating to the reporting enhancements is in the 6.02 section - a direct link is here:

http://www.aerohive.com/330000/docs/h...

A video explaining the basics is also online at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxtXRo...

in answer to you question though the way to select the information for specific sites is use the Device Groups on the left hand side under which is a location setting, chose the location and the report then relates to that location and ones below it in the tree.

I hope that makes sense?

Regards

Phil
Photo of sherylcknox

sherylcknox

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
To get back to James' original question and needs (which I share) . . .
1) Number of wireless connections per location (How many times was wifi used in each location)
I have found no way to generate this aside from generating a 'Unique Clients by SSID over Time' report in the dashboard ad hoc with a custom date range,  limit to the SSID and Location I want, hover my mouse pointer over each bar and type values into a separate spreadsheet with my left hand. Then in the spreadsheet, calculate a total for the month. Rinse. Repeat. For every location. Every month. I have 13 locations. Poor James has 61 :-(

2) Total Minutes of air time used in a month per location
Not possible.

3) Average session length per location ( I think this one could be done manually based on the previous 2 reports)
I have not found that Aerohive has any concept of 'session' at all. Anywhere. The closest you can get is the idea of 'unique client' on a daily basis.

I could do this data work myself if I could get raw client data reports in csv format which seem to be offered in the Additional Reports section of the Reports tab. But we have HMOL and the data retention caps mean I don't have much hope of being able to get even a full day's worth of data once we are fully deployed. For us (a multi-branch public library), while we really like the Aerohive management and deployment tools, we've taken a large step backwards for use statistics.

Photo of Phil Keeley

Phil Keeley

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Sherylcknox

HMOL should provide you with the last 3 days of data so a daily export via Email would provide you all the detail information from which you can build the reports. There is a limit of how much data Aerohive can store, I think it is around 3 million events for client activity, but that should be enough for the past day. If you have changed the default time interval for Statistics collection from 10 minutes down to 1 minute then you will be generating a lot more records. If you are near the limit I would suggest increasing the collection interval to 20 or even 30 minutes, you will lose some granularity but it will extend the length of time the data is stored for.

Hope that helps
Photo of Ajit

Ajit

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You can get this info from Reports, there are few prepackaged reports for clients or you can create a new report and Select location. (See below)

Photo of sherylcknox

sherylcknox

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your replies! We are about halfway through our deployment and so far I still am able to get about 2.5 days of client data out of the Client reports when I "run them now". I verified that we have the Statistics Collection Interval set to 10 minutes. If we could get this delivered daily in a reliable fashion, that would be acceptable.

However, I've had a Client report set up on a recurring schedule to be emailed daily for about a month now. I do get an email with a filename in it (most days, but not all days), but no attached data file. We've checked everything on our end to confirm that file attachments aren't getting stripped off by our email server. I've had a ticket open for about a month with no updates or further troubleshooting/help in the last 3 weeks. Maybe I'll try spending my afternoon on the phone again.
Photo of Scott M.

Scott M., Sr. Support Engineer

• 104 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello sherylcknox,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I'm sending you an E-mail outside of HIveNation to get the case number so I can ensure the support case is properly handled.
Photo of sherylcknox

sherylcknox

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

In case someone else in the same boat finds this post, our support case was resolved successfully after it was escalated. We weren't getting report attachments on our scheduled emails--the generated report file was getting wiped before the email was generated and sent. Adjustments were made on the Hive Manager backend and voila! now I get daily csv files.

Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 396 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Thank you sherylcknox for the update.

- amanda
Photo of Mark Sundbom

Mark Sundbom

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I got the scheduled email and report attachments figured out but it comes as a graph which doesn't help a whole lot.  How does one get csv files?  Do I need to open a support case?