Recommendations for Sector/Patch Antenna for AP350/390?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone have a recommendation for a sector/patch antenna that would work well with a AP350/AP390?

I'm looking for low gain (6 dBi) and approx 60 degree beamwidth in both H and E planes for an HD deployment. I've also been looking at MIMO antennas, but it's a little unclear to me whether they would help given that the majority of client devices will be tablets and smart phones. At this point, MIMO would only be used by current gen iPads and a very small number of laptops that may enter the environment. 

I would need both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz antennas separately or combined.

The antennas would be deployed on high ceiling tile (~40 feet to lowest terrace shooting directly down to provide uniform and high-availability coverage for a mobile POS system on a terraced seating area. A secondary objective is to provide guest wireless access.

Aruba's ANT-18 (without the built in down tilt) seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for, but 1. I don't know if it would even work and 2. I'm not sure if I even need MIMO considering my objectives.

Other antennas I've looked at have beam widths that are too narrow for the most part. Although, if I can drop the MIMO requirement the choices seem to open up a little bit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with some reputable choices or from their own experience, that would help.

Thanks!

Photo of Steven Bateman

Steven Bateman

• 65 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I was sent this info from the distributor

http://www.jacchk.com/

I am in the same boat looking for some antenna options

According to the Spec sheets
the 390 and 350 have
6x RP-SMA antenna connections for external antennas

so reverse polarity SubMiniature version A connectors

from what I read the reverse polarity represents the reverse of the gender of the interface and not the polarity of the signal.

most of the antennae are n female
so looks like the cable would be
RP-SMA male Plug to N-Male

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
http://www.aerohive.com/pdfs/Aerohive_Datasheet_Antenna.pdf

came across this
on 5GHz and 120 degree H-Plane

not sure why it is not listed as product on the main product page.

I also came across these guys who specifically list Aerohive APs

http://www.terra-wave.com/productselector/

(Edited)
Photo of Steven Bateman

Steven Bateman

• 65 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Yeah I'm testing a TerraWave 802.11n MIMO antenna currently but the beamwidth for the HD and 802.11ac antennas are a little narrow in 5 GHz for my application. Terrawave has been good to work with in pre-sales though, they just sent me one to have, no questions asked.

The AH-ACC-350-ANT-5 seems like a good find, and it's still in the price list so I'm not sure why it doesn't have a page on the website.

If I go with the AH-ACC-350-ANT-5, I'll just have to find a similar antenna for just 2.4 GHz, which shouldn't be as difficult to find.

Thanks!