Random lost of connections with HiveManager 6.2R1a and AP-120

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,

im recently having lot of  radom lost of connection of my AP. We were running version 5 didnt have this issue but  2 weeks ago i updated to 6.1r1 VM hivemanager , updated my AP (AP-120) with the OS and activated it, and since  few of them keep disconnecting from the manager. I updated then to 6.2r1 hoping that this would the problem but it didn't. The weird thing is that the AP  that will disconnect (about 7 out of 90 i use) are often the same ones (but not always, sometimes it will be an AP on which the problem never occured). Even weirder, when disconnected from the HM i can still ping the AP!, but no SSH or HTTP, the only way to reconnect it is either to wait (eventually it ll re connect after few minutes / hours or never) or reboot it via POE. then it ll reconnect to the HM fine but will often redisconnect after some time (can be 30 minutes or a day later).  I tried to do a reset device to default and re upload my conf ,but it still have the same behaviour. Any advice on what could cause this? network side there was no change since the time it worked fine, the HM and AP are on the same local network without any firewall or else. i tried changing the POE, it still do the same.

Finally, i don't know if its related or not, but the AP on wich the problem occured many of them are on the same Network policy (like i have 10 AP out of 90 that use this network policy, and many of them will have the issue, though sometimes  it can happen to AP on an other NP), so i wondered if it could come from the NP?

Thanks for helping me :)
Photo of boombasstic

boombasstic

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of pmit

pmit

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had this same issue for weeks. I was instructed to downgrade the AP120's to HiveOS 5.1r5.1089 . All of my AP120's have been up for about 3 days now with no issues. This is actually better than before, but I won't be convinced until a week or so out.
(Edited)
Photo of boombasstic

boombasstic

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the answer. i will wait few days and see if i have an answer to my problem from AeroHive, or downgrade to 5.1r5.1089 and see what happens.
How do you download an old OS image? i can only download latest images from "HiveOS latest images from update server" option.
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I believe it has to do with Memory issues on the 120 Series AP:  I downgraded to 5.1r5 on 121s, and 170s with no issues since.   https://support.aerohive.com/login  Download the old Firmware here if you have on Prem - If not, request the 5.1r5 from support to have them throw it in your HMOL Instance.
Cheers!
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
If so, a potential temporary mitigation strategy until code becomes available that resolves this may be to schedule reboots at a cadence that avoids there being overly constrained memory conditions - something like every Sunday night at an unsociable hour.
Photo of Travis Kaufman

Travis Kaufman, Champ

• 113 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Good Point - 5.1r5 was not feature heavy, so it would be stable until say 6.2r1b...
Photo of boombasstic

boombasstic

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your advices. I downgraded all my APs to 5.1r5.1089 and all is back in order. I will just wait for the next update. Or maybe AP120 are too old for latest OS, and id rather use them with OS 5?