Radiation in AP122 (just covering my bases here)

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Hi there, I realise this is a silly question but I just need to cover my bases- we have an office on one of our sites where a staff member is positioned directly beneath one of our AP122s, this staff member has been told by a third party (electrician) that sitting directly beneath a wifi AP can be detrimental to their health, they are now asking us to move it. I realise that all of the research (World Health Organisation etc) are saying there is nothing to worry about even if you were to hold the AP directly to your face but is there anything I can show the staff member from Aerohive themselves to back this position up? Would Aerohive even give creedence to this argument by saying anything? Thanks. 
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Debra Knodel

Debra Knodel

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Dan - we post the required safe distances in our hardware guides. For the AP122, the minimum distance is 8 inches, or 20 cm.  This is per federal radiation exposure requirements. If the AP is in the ceiling above this person, the distance should be well outside this minimum.

You can find this statement in the Safety Guidelines section of the AP122 Hardware User Guide: http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/hardware/ap/ap122.htm

Please feel free to ask any further questions. Hope this helps.

Debra Knodel
Sr. Technical Writer,
Aerohive Networks, Inc.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's great Debra, thanks for your help. 
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Dan,

The topic of "electro-smog" is very controversial, and you will receive very different answers, depending on whom you ask.

The point is: One has to look at anything that is creating EMF emissions - which is: everything. But most notably: any electric wiring and electric appliances, Microwaves, TVs, Wireless APs, cordless phones, mobile phones, ...

In principle, we follow as much as we can the following rules:

- Reduce Wifi power levels as much as possible, which in most cases is better anyway, to reduce interference. Which also means: You can reach a lower overall EMF emission by installing MORE access points, but reduce the power output significantly, which at the same time gives you better coverage, more throughput and much higher client density. This is usually an easy one, and you can generate some nice graphs showing by how much you have reduced the emission.
- Consider using only 2.4 or 5 GHz, depending on your environment and needs. Or, at least, consider turning off some of the 2.4 GHz radios, which goes in-line with the previous argument (reduce interference)
- Consider removing all DECT installations. Use fixed, Wifi and mobile phones instead.
- Check the location of all electrical devices - TV screens, projectors, .... and move the kitchen's Microwaves to a more isolated area (which reduces Wifi interference, too :-))
- Ensure all electrical devices are recent and of a "green" energy consumption type.
- Ensure all electrical cabling is recent and thus properly shielded.
- Ensure your staff member does not sit right in front of a computer screen, and if he or she has a laptop, never uses it while resting it on his/her lap.

And, most importantly: Ask your staff member if he/she is using a mobile phone, and if yes, to:
- Hold it at least 20cm away from the head, always (and to use an air-tube headset!)
- Never wear it inside the pants-pocket (especially if this is a man with an active family planning)
- Turn it off / into airplane mode when not needed

Hope this helps...
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Excellent run-down here Carsten, thanks for taking the time to write this out, I appreciate it :)