Question: "How does 802.11ac handle IPv6 mobility?"

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Enterprise-grade Wi-Fi systems handle mobility by ensuring that clients are attached to the network in the same place. Aerohive's mobility solution works for both IPv4 and IPv6 because it maintains the same attachment point as a client moves throughout the network.
Photo of Matthew Gast

Matthew Gast

• 284 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
We still need IPv6 support to make it to HiveOS, particularly in firewall policies that are applied to clients before this is enterprise ready to be used in actual deployment.

Honestly, I think it could be seen as being unhelpful to imply that there is a solution for IPv6 client access that works without this or that it has anything to do with 802.11ac. (The same applies for 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.11a and the original 802.11 standard.)

Yes, the answer here is crafted to be specific and is accurate, the same L2 attachment point is offered, but I do not think it is particularly helpful or meaningful in any way to many people. It does not answer the real question that many people will have.
(It is, I feel, only fair to say that IPv6 is forwarded or carried, not that it works in concert with the access points in a way that constitutes a solution.)

[There is also no support to filter by EtherType in HiveOS so even if you want to prohibit all IPv6 traffic, you cannot today. The old Trapeze kit could do this, Matthew! ;) ]
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
The behaviour here is largely incidental as it is a L2 concern.

The answer to the specific question in the title should perhaps make it more clear that 802.11ac is unrelated to IPv6 due to the architectural layering and separation of concerns that exists between the layers so there is little difference from IPv4 with regards to roaming and mobility.

(I do think the wider question needs to be addressed by vendors generally. Many claim that there is little to no demand for IPv6, but this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when first class support is not available in the networking infrastructure.)
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 396 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Hi Nick, 

The original question was answered, per the goal of this exercise in answering follow up questions from our webinar, but you are free to carry on the conversation with additional follow up questions. Matthew is out of office today but will check in and reply as he is able. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Edit to my reply: For clarification, this thread started by Matthew is part of a cluster of unanswered questions from our recent 802.11ac webinar. These questions and answers are all grouped here along with a summary.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Oops, I missed the context. I have edited my responses slightly.