Problems configuring AP121 using webinterface

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
After updating our accesspoints to HiveOS 6.0r2a, we aren't able to manually configure the accesspoints using the webinterface. We can only configure them using CLI. Does anybody else experience this problem?
Photo of Hans Raaijmakers

Hans Raaijmakers

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
"manually configure" "using the web interface"? Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite follow you.

Hans Raaijmakers

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I mean, for example, when you want to change the hostname, port or ip address on the ap121 itself (using the browser), it doesn't remember these settings. Only when I do it via CLI.
Photo of Abby S

Abby S, Employee

• 94 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
hi Hans,

Did you also update HiveManager to 6.0r2a? HiveManager 6.0r2 cannot manage the 6.0r2a APs, so you may have a version control issue.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Actually, that's not true. HiveManager 6.0r2 can manage 6.0r2a APs.
Photo of Gregor Vucajnk

Gregor Vucajnk, Official Rep

• 74 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yes, this is true.
HiveManager can not manage previous versions but version 6.0r2a is mostly about big fixes so 6.0r2 will be able to manage it. Still it is highly recommendable upgrading the HiveManager to the minimum of the latest code used on any Aerohive products managed by HiveManager.

Hans Raaijmakers

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Abby,

Thanks for the reply, but that is not what I mean. The problem occurs with a new AP121, trying to setup a CAPWAP connection to the HM. When we set the hostname and press apply, the settings are immediately forgotten. Configuring the AP using CLI works.
Photo of Scott M.

Scott M., Sr. Support Engineer

• 104 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello Hans,

Does the HiveOS version match the HiveManager version?

Is CAPWAP up?

Do you have a DTLS lock?

Have you tried performing a "Complete" configuration push?

Have you tried performing both types of "Delta" configuration pushes?

You can issue "reset config" in the CLI and when the AP appears as new in HiveManager, you can perform a complete config push to see if this allows the config changes to be pushed via the GUI.

Hans Raaijmakers

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Scott, thank you for your suggestions. However, I don't think that we are on the same page. Let my try to explain what we do and where it goes wrong.

We connect the AP121 (out of the box) to a network that has a DHCP server running. After the AP121 acquires a ip address, we use that ip address in our web browser and get a login page to the AP121 itself. After we login, we set the hostname to our HiveManager and press 'apply'. After that, it seems the settings (i.e. hostname) are immediately forgotten and reset, same goes for the ip address. The only way we can enter the hostname is via CLI.

Hope this clarifies my question a little ;).

But to answer your questions:
1. HM runs 6.0r2 and AP121 6.0r2a
2. No, we aren't able to establish a connection due to settings being reset
3. No
4. No, we cannot connect to the HM
5. Same as 4
6. Same as 4

Thanks for all the help though!
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
What Hans is referring to is logging into the HiveUI web configuration page to set the HiveAP IP and CAPWAP settings. I just tested this on my end and I am seeing the same issues.

When I log into my AP121 running 6.0r2a, I can see that my DHCP server has assigned it a 10.4.1.109 address from the pool:

I would prefer a static IP address in the range set aside for APs, so I select the "Static Network Settings" radio button and specify a 10.4.1.80 IP address on the same network:

The problem comes when I click Apply. Nothing seems to happen on the page and when I navigate away and come back to "Local Network Settings" the original DHCP setting is still in place.

The same is also true when trying to set the HiveAP's CAPWAP settings from HiveU by navigating to the "HiveManager Configuration" page. If I click the tick box for "Set parameters for communicating with HiveManager" and fill out the HiveManager hostname and CAPWAP port, HiveUI does not apply the settings. If I fill out the above settings and click apply, I get a loading page, but when HiveUI refreshes the "HiveManager IP Address or Host Name" and "Port" text boxes are at their defaults.

If I log into the HiveAP CLI I can confirm that my both my IP address and CAPWAP settings are what the HiveAP received from my DHCP server on boot.

Hans, I would recommend opening a support case with your Aerohive partner so that you can file this as a suspected issue.

Hope this helps
Photo of Bernat Real

Bernat Real

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have same issue, anybody has a solution?
Photo of Gregor Vucajnk

Gregor Vucajnk, Official Rep

• 74 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
If you configure the device locally (let's say to static IP and network settings) BEFORE provisioning it to the HM, you have to be careful to apply the same settings to the HiveManager before the first push.

HiveManager will take precedence in configuration 'ownership'. There is a workaround where you can choose the type of the configuration push from the HiveManager to have the local device settings not overwritten. However first config will always be a complete configuration.

So just make sure you have the desired network configuration set in HiveManager before pushing configs to the network devices and all will be fine.

Hans Raaijmakers

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the confirmation Brian. I am in contact with Scott to document the issue.
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are you using and on premise HM, or HMOL? I haven't had an issue with new AP's appearing in either. Only issue I have with new AP's is them popping up in the default home hive and I have to manually move them to the production hive.