Performance Analysis 101

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
So we are well into an enterprise-wide deployment of AP230s and the fun is starting.  I'm starting to field complaints from certain areas of our high school and am looking to the more experienced users here for advice on how to begin troubleshooting.

For example... a teacher in a particular classroom is using a computer-based mathematics program and has a cart of Mac laptops for this purpose.  She was frustrated today because when all of the laptops were in use network speed was very slow.  She plugged one of them into a network drop (imagine that) and said the difference was night and day.

So I start by taking a look at the Access Point in that room.

So I can see that this thing shows a client count of 207 around 10:35 this morning.  I'm not entirely sure what this is measuring.  Right now I see that 5 clients are associated with this access point and the graph is showing 127 so it must not be a literal count of associated clients.   

I also note that around the same time Snapshot TCI, Short TCI and Long TCI all spike to 23, 20 and 15 respectively.  Wifi 1 remains stable.

There are a few access points in close proximity to this particular access point:

And the cart of computers is literally right in room 1111.  

Network policy follows most of the recommended settings for high density deployments with the exception of DAS... which is turned off.  I'm happy to provide particulars.

We are also getting some complaint from users in room 1170 (center bottom of the map) that they are getting bumped off the wireless network at certain times of the day.   I'm wondering if I have some issues in this particular corner of the building.

I know that I haven't provided a great deal of input here, but will gladly expand if anyone is willing to offer some suggestions.
Photo of Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews

• 52 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews

• 52 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Adding a spectrum analysis from that AP this morning during heavier load: