Obtaining Hivemanager IP via DHCP changed in AP250?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
We have about 600 Aerohive AP's in our network, distributed over a wide range of subnets and VLANs.
They all find their way to our Hivemanager through a global DHCP Option 226.
That is, until we started deplyoing the new AP 250.
The does not seem to find their way home, and I have to manually SSH into them and enter capwap client server name <hivemanager ip>

So, has something about the AP's find their way to Hivemanger changed in DHCP?

Photo of gaasdal

• 26 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1027 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Official Response
Several releases ago (sorry, don't recall exactly when and don't have my normal resources available to me) we changed this from illegally using site-specific DHCP options (the options you are using) to instead look for the save values as sub-options under DHCP option 43 (vendor-specific options).  

If you have a mix of older versions of HiveOS and now newer versions, you can leave the existing DHCP options alone, just copy them into the same sub-options under options 43 (in other words, where you were using options 225/226 to provide the FQDN and IP address of your HM, now you also using DHCP option 43 and sub-options 225 and 226 with the same info). 

Older versions of HiveOS will still look for options 225 thru 231 as part of their DHCP boot process, newer versions will submit a VCI of "AEROHIVE" and will look for sub-options 225 thru 231.