Newbie Configuration Questions for AP230

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I am new to enterprise wireless in our school and have a questions about using both Eth0 and Eth1 on the AP230 in our school. 
1. On our AP121's we assign a static ip address for each AP on our DHCP server. Do I need to assign 2 static ip addresses for the AP 230? Where is the MAC address for Eth1?
2. What is the benefit of running both Eth0 and Eth1? I am assuming you can increase your throughput to the AP?
3. I read that the PoE power for the AP 230 only runs on Eth0. Do I need to disable PoE on the port that is connected to Eth1?
I have more questions, but that will get things started. Thanks in advance! 
Photo of Trey Cates

Trey Cates

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
1. You only assign one IP address. Eth1 is used for link aggregation.
2. See above. In theory, link aggregation can increase throughput. In practice, I doubt you'll see any significant improvement.
3. No you don't need to disable PoE on the port connected to Eth1.
Keep in mind that you aren't getting PoE redundancy and no significant increase in throughput, so setting this up is not really worth it.
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
1. only one management IP address is needed. The Ethernet ports work on Layer 2 for link aggregation (port channel)
2. throughput can be increased to 2 Gbps. Question is if you will get 2 Gbps over the radio's of the AP ? Does not seem to be useful. Also if a cable problem is there you are redundant !
3. PoE is detecting automatically so you do not have to confgiure something
Photo of Trey Cates

Trey Cates

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your help! I actually had AP250s and had to change the POE power mode in Hive Manager to 802.3at instead of automatic in order for the Eth1 port to activate. 

One more question. I am using HP Procurve switches and I noticed that most of my Aerohives are pulling 6-8 Watts of power. Should I manually configure those interfaces to supply 20 Watts or more?