New installation of aerohive AP370 not working correctly, multiple problems

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We have a new installation of 70 AP370 Access points, mixed in with 30 AP330's.  We are having a host of problems and need assistance in troubleshooting this systemic issue.  Here are the varied issues:

1. Some clients can't connect
2. Some clients can connect but are disconnected randomly
3. MACS are having more problems than PC's but we have many PC's that won't connect
4. There have been some reports of clients having perfect connections and then disconnecting once school starts and many more clients attempt to use wireless.
5. Errors are not limited to the ac network

We have called aerohive and they did the following:

Aerohive added Qos service rate limit to byod ssid to student and staff. (We have 5 SSID's.) Upload these changes to the AP's and rebooting the radius AP.

We are a school, there are 4 of us for 3000 users.  We have been trying to get support from Aerohive and it can't come fast enough.  We are training ourselves on troubleshooting cause we need to get this system up and running.  This is why we are turning to this forum.  Maybe something in this scenario jumps out at someone.

We have a mixed Hive OS Verison.  65% of the clients are on 6.0.2.0 and the rest are on 6.1.3.0.  

We are new to the aerohive system so we may not be giving the right information so if you are kind enough to engage with us in the problem solving we would be thrilled to drill down and get the right info.

Thanks all
Photo of Diane Arsenault

Diane Arsenault

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Diane,

The QoS setting is, I think, unlikely to be relevant to the issues you mention.

Who was responsible for deploying this network in your school? (Things like the site survey for appropriate AP placement, installation, configuration based on your requirements and verification.)

(Being candid and upfront, the fact you mention having 5 SSIDs immediately makes the installation somewhat suspect to me from a 'smell' perspective as it is usually unnecessary and generally seen as poor practice to have this number.)

As there's little technical information to go on in your post, as an initial thought, have you checked for sufficient DHCP IP address scope capacity for your clients? Scope exhaustion, often exacerbated by high default lease times, is typically what we would see causing the symptoms you are observing.

You mention RADIUS, are you using 802.1X? This can also be a cause of the issues you mention when it is not functioning fully.

Do you have any technical information that you can post about your setup and the troubleshooting steps you have taken so that we can help triage for you?

Regards,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Dear Diane

several things to check.

as mentioned by Nick make sure DHCP scopes are big enough and lease times are short 20 minutes to 1 hour depending on how transient the population is.

for our deployment I use /23 subnet and assign the vlan via the map topology per SSID

you may want to add more radius servers - 3000 users and 1 AP acting as a radius server sounds dubious

I would pick quiet APs - hardly any users, APs are limited on resources.

Depending on your country you should check if  you are using DFS channels and if the clients actually support DFS channels.
Are you using 80Mhz channels for the 802.11ac APs?

I would follow the high density design guide

http://www.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/Aerohive_High-Density_Wi-Fi-Design-Co...

it's packed with info
knowing your supplicant capabilities is important

but since you have 100 APs and 3000 potential clients, it sounds like your deployment might coverage based rather then dense.

but is hard to know without knowing how it was designed. I just know our schools have about 80 to 100 APs per school which is about 750 to 1000 wireless clients

I would use the client monitor tool to figure out where things are failing

you can review the help file and watch Gregor's video

http://www.wlanpros.com/ten-talks-gregor-vucanjk-ten-talk/

If your deployment is dense, you will mostly likely need to adjust the power down and disable some of the 2.4Ghz radios

Also you can look at the dashboard troubleshooting tab for your error rates that would indicate RF issues.

found this which might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufbva_vHrE

(Edited)
Photo of Diane Arsenault

Diane Arsenault

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your responses and help.  We are trying some of these suggestions.  We discovered that some neighboring AP's were configured to run on the same channel.  We reconfigured these to run on different channels.  In addition we dialed down the power of all of the access points.  We are watching the video mentioned above which is proving to be very helpful.  

I said we support 3000 users out of our help desk but that was misleading in terms of the devices connecting to the clients.  I would say we have 500 devices on average at any given time.  Sorry for the confusion.  In addition, we have 70 AP's of mixed 370's and 330's.  (We took 30 ap's out of play for re purposing in another building).  I gave poor intel in my original post.

We are testing today.
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Diane,

Have you all seen any issues with the AP370s and clients connecting at 5ghz?  We have a couple of them and the DNS fails to resolve after a while.  This only happens on our AP370s.  I think it is a HiveOS bug, but it has been hard for me to prove it to support since whenever they change a setting on the AP370 it starts to work for an hour or two.  All our other Aerohive APs are fine which are mostly AP121 and AP120s.

Ryan
Photo of Chris Gregory

Chris Gregory

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Ryan,

I too had issues with an AP370.  Most of my AP's are AP330's, and soon as I implemented the AP370 almost all of my users were complaining of connection issues.  I attempted to make many incremental changes to the AP370 over a 4 week period but could never leave it running fro more than 15 minutes at a time due to the havoc it created with WiFi connections for my users.  I eventually just shu it off.  That was two Hive Os versions ago.  I'm going to try it again this week to see if anything has changed. 
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

Good luck!  I hope the new software works better for you.  We have moved our AP370s to a less critical area and for the most part of them working now, but still see quirky things from time to time.  I have not had much time to look further into it.  We have stopped buying that model and now just buy AP130s.  The AP130s have been solid so far!

Ryan
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Definitely consider updating to 6.5r2 on the AP370s.
Photo of Joe Frazier

Joe Frazier

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have also had AP370 issues, Nick what is the best way to get 6.5r2?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Joe,

I assume that you are using HMOL?

If so, whoever supports your installation can request that your HMOL VHM be moved to a newer instance. Just open a ticket.

Also... The golden, long term support HiveOS 6.5r3 is due this month. You will be able to self update to that release.

Regards,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree with other posters 5 SSIDs is never a good idea.  They will utilize lots of bandwidth with management traffic.  In addition, using an AP as a radius server for 3000+ devices is sure to cause trouble.