New AP121's not connecting to HiveManager

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I'm adding 2 new AP121's. According to the QuickStart guide as soon as I plug them into the BR100 they are supposed to connect to HiveManager however after 45 minutes they have not been discovered. I've add the AP's SN and activated the licenses. We are a small restaurant and only have one other AP121 which has been operating for about a year. I noticed that the lights on the back of the BR100 are not flashing or the new AP's so I switched cables but no change.
Photo of Bill

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Have you had the BR100 for a while or is that new too?  If you have had it for a while and it has been working well, my first thought is that since the BR100 had no POE ports, that perhaps there is something wrong with the way the POE injectors are plugged in.
Photo of Bill

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We've had the BR100 for about a year with no problem.  The AP's are not using POE and are both independently powered.  Both are flashing red.
Photo of Kushar Perera

Kushar Perera

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Next thing I'd do is to confirm if the two APs have got IPs and connected to BR via HiveManager BR100 monitoring info. Or if u can console to AP121 and do 'show l3 interfaces' and 'show ip route' and if gateway is seen then ping test.
Photo of AJ Nurcombe

AJ Nurcombe

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If you can verify the IP addresses of the device, use an SSH client to log into the AP. 
Default username and password: admin aerohive
Run the command "show capwap client" and confirm if it can gain CAPWAP connectivity to the HiveManager. 
Photo of Bill

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone for the great support and ideas. I was able to connect with Aerohive support and after quite a long time trying to diagnose the problem they had me check power supplies and found that they were the wrong AC adapters. AC adapters that were sent out were for 110/120/320/340. instead of  AH-ACC-PWR-24W-US.  The AP120 power supplies do not supply the required amps for the AP121 so the AP just stays in amber flashing and never boots up. Hopefully with the correct power supplies the AP's will connect.  
Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Eek. The AP120 took a 48V external power supply whereas the AP121 takes a 12V power supply. From bitter personal experience (due to an inability to follow a wire from one end to the other), plugging an AP120 power supply into an AP121 may well cause irrepairable damage. If you find the APs don't power on with the correct power supply, you may well have to get the APs replaced.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2486 Posts
  • 448 Reply Likes
The extra voltage is quite likely to have killed the APs. If so, at least that won't be Bill's problem to foot the bill as the reseller sent him the wrong ones.