Need help wiith USB modem - Verizon U620L

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
How do I get this modem to work? It shows up on my laptop as a regular Ethernet port.

This link may help;

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/su...
Photo of Will Rhodes

Will Rhodes

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ed

Ed

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on this?  I've been spinning my wheels with Aerohive support on this one for a week and still no solution.
Photo of Will Rhodes

Will Rhodes

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Short answer: No, Aerohive does not support the card and is not willing to add support.

Long Answer: The BR routers' OS can support the card. The problem is the web interface does not give you access to all of the "usbmodeswitch" options. I got it to work by doing the following:

NOTE:

This is not a workable solution. Just to try this out, you need the "_shell" password. Only support has this and they are unique to each router. Once setup, the card will not work if the router is rebooted or unplugged. There is no way that I know of to script the steps needed to run on startup.

In the end I gave up and bought used UML290 cards. Here are the steps in case you talk someone into adding support.

--- Goal ---

switch the usbmodem from RNDIS (windows Ethernet support) to CDC Ether (linux Ethernet)

--- Card Setup ---

Connect to Windows computer and set the card to Auto-Connect. I'm pretty not sure if this is necessary but it seams reasonable.

--- Router Setup ---

- Reset BR to default

- Load basic config with Hivemanager

- login to BR CLI

- run _shell (note: you need the password from support)

- run usb_modeswitch -v 1410 -p 9020 -m 0xff -r 0xff -u 4

- wait for card to change modes (lights go out and then blink on)

- check mode by lsusb ---> ID 1410:9022

- exit shell

- sh l3 int --- now displays the usb0 interface

- usbmodem mode primary-wan

- Using BR GUI

- USB Modem Settings

- Connect Type: Attention Command

- Apply

The card will now connect!!!

--- Potential Avenues for a Fix ---

1) Add the card as a supported device and have the usb_modeswitch run in the background

2) Add the "-u" switch as an option in the BR web interface. That would give you the ability to work with almost any unsupported card provided the card itself supports the CDC Ethernet mode.

3) Add RNDIS support to the BR

I tried hard to get this card supported, but lost the battle. Good luck!
(Edited)
Photo of Ed

Ed

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for that update!  You will be proud to know that I got a hold of an excellent AH support rep who referenced your notes on this issue with me while I was on the phone with her.  Hopefully they will be able to fully support this modem soon, it's the only one available right now at the Verizon website!