my ap170 outdoor access point doesn't work after a power cut?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have 2 a p170 outdoor access points and we had a power cut and now they do not show up on our Mac network, They stream between classrooms but after the power cut they do not work? i have checked the port on the wall and traced it back to the serve but the network port light is not flashing. if anyone could shine some light on the issue i would be very grateful, Thanks Jon
Photo of Jon Shakallis

Jon Shakallis

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Youping Liu

Youping Liu

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would suggest you to check the following

1. Is either AP shown online in Hive Manager?
2. Can you ping either APs with a computer connecting to the same switch?
3. Make sure the PoE port connecting to the AP is functional

You are recommend to open a support case at Aerohive Support Portal.

Youping
Photo of Youping Liu

Youping Liu

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The above steps are to determine if the APs are still functional after the power cut. If they are powered on properly and functional, then you may go to next step to check the RF link between the APs. The network port light is not flashing usually shows that there is no traffic passing through that port.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Brown

Dave Brown

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I had that happen on one of my AP170's recently. A second controlled powercycle fixed the issue and brought it back online.
Photo of David Harmer

David Harmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had this happen but cannot seem to get the AP170 back 'alive'. Open the box and I can see two LED, all cables terminated OK. 

Pressing reset for >10 seconds also does not appear to make any difference, its like they are 'locked' or something?

Any ideas? what do you mean by controlled powercycle?

David,
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
David,
By "controlled powercycle" they mean to remove power, wait a few seconds, and re-apply power.
Photo of David Harmer

David Harmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

I have done this and have physically opened the device to see if it was completely dead. After doing the power cycle I now see a new LED (b56)? on the circuit board flashing which wasnt before, however i dont see the device on the HiveManager nor does it broadcast, I dont want to RMA as I cant believe that the device is dead. 

Without a console cable I cant seem to see how i can detect or view logs or anything? I've tried resetting using the reset button but as i said it appears to do nothing at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.
David.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
David,
I don't have any direct personal experience with the outdoor APs, the best advice I can give you is to contact your reseller or Aerohive Technical Support -- they are familiar with this hardware and can assist you in troubleshooting.