My Windows clients are connecting to 802.11a instead of 802.11n

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I recently purchased 5 AP130 points to test out Aeohive ahead of replacing 60 more old Trapeze access points.

The AP130's are 802.11ac, however at the moment I only have 802.11n devices on my network.

I have setup all my device profiles, and on my Android phone, I am connecting with 802.11na and getting a speed of 270mbps, which is what I would expect. However my Windows laptops with Centrino Ultimate-N cards in them are all connecting as 802.11a, and therefore only getting a speed of 54mbps.

I've checked the laptops, and I have confirmed that at home they connect to my home router as 802.11n, so I know they work okay.

Can 802.11n only work on specific encryption types? My phone is connecting with WPA 802.1X RADIUS, but these laptops are using WPA2 PSK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

James
Photo of James Bray

James Bray

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Darren O'Meara

Darren O'Meara

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
any answer to this. I have the same
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
What encryption are you using for the WPA2 PSK?  Are you using CCMP (AES) or TKIP? If you're using TKIP, change it to CCMP (AES). TKIP is not supported in 11n and would explain this behavior.
Photo of James Bray

James Bray

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You are totally right, and I knew that. Not sure what has been going on in my brain this week... Thank you for your help!