MY AP230's show aren't allowing DHCP or Static IP's to pass through sonicwall

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Sonicwall TZ600 with SonicOS Enhanced 6.2.3.1-19n; AP230's with HiveOS 6.5r3 Honolulu build2530; Hivemanager NG.  The AP's have static IP's.  Sonicwall is DHCP server and all WLAN MAC address have been manually assigned via the Sonicwall.  This same setup works flawlessly with LAN Ethernet connections. 

Problem:
The assigning of IP's (whether Static or DHCP) is spotty on wireless.  All WLAN clients connect but not all get the proper address or if the static address shows up, they won't be able to go out to the internet.  Some clients connect fine but lose the connection after a few minutes or hours.

What I've Done that didn't resolve the issue:
- Content filtering in sonicwall is disabled
- Persistent NAT is enabled in Sonicwall

Temp Workaround:
We set one of the AP230's as it's own DHCP server using a different subnet.  Now, whichever DHCP server responds first, that's the address the WLAN client gets.  This works without issue.

So why do you think the AP's aren't allowing the pass through properly?  Thanks!
Photo of Derek Gillespie

Derek Gillespie

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi, Derek,

Until someone with more knowledge replies, do you know if the problem is affecting clients on all the APs?  I had something like this happen when I had an AP230 on a switch port that wasn't assigned to the proper VLAN.  Clients connected to the AP but that's as far as they went because they couldn't find their default gateway.  If clients roamed to that AP from another they lost internet and LAN access even though they still showed a WiFi connection.
Photo of Derek Gillespie

Derek Gillespie

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wasn't able to isolate if it was just one AP or not but that is an interesting idea.  All the AP's are updated to the latest HIVE OS and didn't have an issue before the sonicwall implementaition.
Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ah, then that sounds like it's not the same problem I had.  Good luck with it!
Photo of John Fabry

John Fabry

• 28 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
We had  to upgrade the 230s to version 6.6r1 to get DHCP to work. I have about 600 of them and they are all stable on this release.  Our 330 model APs all run on 6.5r3  and are all stable. We do not plan to change anything until Aerohive fixes the DHCP bug they admittedly have.
Photo of German Mosquera

German Mosquera

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there any info on the bug report? 
Photo of Donald Owens

Donald Owens

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Had the same issue here. Also using AP230s, but with Sonicwall NSA 4600s. I had upgraded the APs to the "golden version", currently 6.5r3a, but kept having DHCP issues. I then upgraded to the "latest version" of the HiveOS, currently 6.6r2a, and my issues were resolved. I still see DHCP issues in the Troubleshooting tab now and then, but I'm able to see those devices connected successfully just a few moments after the errors. A DHCP issue was addressed in the release notes of the latest HiveOS version.