Moving AP121 from Unmanaged to Managed

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have a hive of managed 30 AP121's. I've just bought an additional 3 which registered in hive manager but under unmanaged. I've modified all the details to be the same as my other AP's but how can I move them into the managed environment. I presume that other details will have to be pushed out to these, current hive OS, certificates etc but how?
They don't show in the unconfigured just unmanaged.
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Have you pushed the configs yet?

Best,
BJ
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can't see how to push the configs out when it is in unmanaged not unconfigured.
There are no AP's in the unconfigured tab yet when you click on the All Devices or Aerohive AP's tabs you get a list of Managed (one tab) and Unmanaged (next tab). This shows my new AP's where I've applied our site policy and they've been allocated IP's but I can't get them into managed with the others and hopefully push out configs from there.
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Did you purchase licenses with the APs? Is your HiveManager online or on-premise?
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Our HiveManager is online. I assume we got licenses when we purchased them. We got them direct from Aerohive and had to give our hive Id to associate them.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Have you managed to sort this yet? All you need to do is associate the AP with a network policy (if it is not already) and upload the configuration.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The AP has the network policy applied but it is still in the 'Unmanaged' section. It can't see how to upload the config while it is in this area. How do I move it from 'Unmanaged' to 'Managed' where I can upload the config.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Do you have a license key installed in HiveManager that covers the AP? Check this under Home > Administration > License Management.

Have you checked that the AP can talk fully to HiveManager Online (HMOL)? Things like: DHCP is functioning and handing out the right information (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS) and that there's no firewall doing something evil in the way.

After your device registers and assuming your license allows the AP, it should automatically show up under 'Managed Devices'.

(For a device to automatically appear under Unmanaged Devices, its serial number must already have been registered in order for the redirector to pass it through short of manually configuring the HiveManager address on the AP itself.)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
HI Nick
Looks like you are getting close to the problem.
I was led to believe that these would come pre-configured, which is why we had to supply our hive name to Aerohive when we bought them. We plugged one in when we got them and the network port started to flicker, as if it were receiving data but the light never went to white it stayed red. 
When we checked, the serial numbers were in 'Unmanaged' so we just applied the site policy and hoped it would move over into 'Managed'. DHCP has supplied an IP in the correct subnet and everything seemed fine but we can't ping that IP.
I've just looked in the license management folder where you suggested and it only shows our original 30 instead of 33 with the new ones.
I'll have to go back to Aerohive and find out why, although I would have thought they'd spot this.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
If they have not already done so, they should be able to supply you with the license key which you can enter in to HMOL to resolve this.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nick
Finally got my AP's connected. Initial problem was the License code hadn't been supplied or applied. Once that had been done it was just a matter of unplugging then re-plugging the AP's and they moved into the  managed area. We had some additional problems after that but they were switch and VLAN related.
Thanks a million for your help, I wouldn't even have considered a license problem because I assumed they would all fall under our original licensing.