Moved 2 121 APs to another subnet and now mobile phones can't get Internet, but laptops can

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,
We have a Hive network of 120 and 121 APs (around 20 units). We recently moved 2 121's to another building and subnet. I reconfigured all the IP info and they are registered to HMOL. They are both connected securely to Capwap server. The issue is that mobile device clients like Iphone, Ipad, Android can connect with AP, get DHCP address from internal server but cannot get to Internet. We have laptops connected to the same two Hives/subnet/router that do not have any issues at all. I have looked over the routes and gateway info on the Hives and they seem correct. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get our mobile phones connected to Internet from this new subnet? We have around 40 phones connected to APs on our main campus subnet without issues but they are hitting a different gateway. Thanks
Photo of Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
How much troubleshooting have you done on the devices?

Can you ping out via IP (4.2.2.2) or URL (www.google.com)?

Can they ping the new default gateway?

Tried "forgetting" (if iOS device) the network and rejoining?
Photo of Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for reply Brian. Done about 4 hours of troubleshooting this afternoon. Yes can ping out to any address on Internet from APs both by ip and url. I made sure DNS was functioning. The APs can ping their local gateway as well. This is really just for Exchange ActiveSync email connections but I made sure the AP can ping the external qualified name for our mailserver and it works. I did try forgetting network and re-entering pre-shared key and that did not work. It seems all is well once connected but nothing Internet-related works from affected devices. I can even see on iOS that it sees the domain name, and other network info.

After re-reading my original post I should mention this is not a new network I moved the APs to, these are just the first Hive installs I have done at the site. It is just geographically separated from our main campus. The router points back to our main campus over Metro Ethernet. What is weird is when I watch our firewall I do not see the clients' traffic on the firewall. So it is like its not getting back to our main campus at all. I know i am missing something on our network but can't figure out what it may be.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
What about from the devices themselves? How far do they get before failure?

A free ping app for the iOS devices here...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inett...

It is odd that the laptops work just fine, which I cant seem to grasp my head around why. Do keep us updated here with any more information and maybe someone else can chime in with more assistance.
Photo of Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ok I will keep you updated. I am back at my main site now. I will have to test this further on Monday and will update this thread then. Thanks for the ping app link.
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Joseph,

This may be a case where opening a support case by calling into our ATAC team (for direct support customers) or through your Aerohive Partner may be a good path to resolution. This way an Aerohive support rep would be able to assist you while you're on-site on Monday. For more information on reaching out to our support team, please visit our website.

Best regards,
Brian
Photo of Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone. This is resolved. I troubleshot with tech support and we eliminated the APs as the cause. I realized that I could ping Internet IPs (with Ping and DNS Android app which is awesome) but not their DNS hostname. The issue was an incorrect DNS entry on the remote dhcp server. Once rectified, DNS started working from the mobile phone. Weird that wifi laptops connected to same AP were working but it may be the difference in how a mobile phone and a laptop receive their network info from dhcp server. Thanks for suggestions.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Glad ya got it resolved. I was leaning towards a DNS issue in my responses, but didnt want to lead you down the wrong path of troubleshooting.